Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for plugs options I’ve been seeing everyone using (and selling) HKS M40 and M45 plugs , I’ve always used and been very happy with NGK plugs in every car I own,

I am curious what the best option is for plugs and I’m also wondering if there’s an upgraded set of coil packs somewhere?
In the VW community it’s common to purchase coil packs from the R8 since they’re an upgrade over your stock VW coil.
does something similar to that exist here on this platform ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking at the good old google, I found they are the same plugs. I looked because I was curious. Here is a link to what I found.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the good old google, I found they are the same plugs. I looked because I was curious. Here is a link to what I found.

Interesting, wonder why they changed part numbers , I’ve been having a slight vibration during idle since I bought the car so I assume it’s going to be plugs and coils , what better time to upgrade than now

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it makes you feel better, NGK makes HKS plugs.
No difference to me what brand I buy , I just wanted to know which was better. But if you recommend the ngk plug then that’s what I’ll get
Im assuming it’s what you use , are they pre gapped?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I run the OG NGK race plug before they changed the part number. Have around 60k on the plugs no issues with them. Pre gapped but that means 0 with any plug. Always be sure gap is correct for what the tuner recommends. The HKS are a second best plug I trust as well. As far as failure rate goes I've seen the HKS have a low number but none for the NGK race plugs yet. They're higher than the HKS though.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
276 Posts
Fyi, GTR coils are being used in the community now but not sure the pros/cons just yet.....
From what I'm seeing is the GTR coils are a 3 wire setup with a straight 90 degree connection and the VT uses a 4 wire coil with a 45 degree up turn on the connector.

So I'm gathering they're only using 3 out of the 4 connections or is the VT coil have an actual ground in their coil connector that the GTR is using externally?

I may have to dig a bit deeper into this.
GTR coils are much bigger so should provide a possible hotter spark for higher performance engines. 🤨🤔

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
The coil in the 13-15 VT have less wires than the 16+ coils.

Ask KDM tuners for the details on hook up and what's used.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I will get the details as I may need something better. OEM coils and .020" gap can only get me so far on E85 with high CR and high boost

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
276 Posts
I will get the details as I may need something better. OEM coils and .020" gap can only get me so far on E85 with high CR and high boost
Which is why an outboard coil pack is still something that really hasn't been looked at.
I know it can be done and I'm working on this as a side project for my build.
It took about a year to figure out an outboard DIS setup for my Z24 so hopefully I'll get the right schematics of what I need and start cross referencing some outboard coils.
Fingers crossed. 🤞

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Keep me posted as if I start having issues with the OEM coils when pushing 2-3+ times the current power I'd rather upgrade the coils than close the plug gaps tighter and have poor idle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts