Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum and to the VT game. Just got my 2020 VT Ultimate and wanted to upgrade it a bit. I purchased a KN CAI and Velossa Tech Big Mouth Intake and will be installing them soon as well as a Borla S-Type Axelback exhaust. A few questions:
1. Will I need to get a tune after installing the CAI and exhuast to get max gains? Or is it not necessary?
2. What should my next steps be to increase performance?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Tune is required to see much of any gains on a 19+ VT.

Next mods depends on end goals for the car or use of the car really. Let us know and we can help.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for that info. I had looked at the K&N website and contacted them but they said a tune wasn't required for my 2020. Nice to know!

And honestly, it's my daily driver and I just wanted to slightly upgrade it. My mechanic said these were the simpler options.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
For just daily some HKS M45XL plugs at .024" and a tune from sxth would be good. If you drive the car hard or want more power you can look into a good hot pipe, intercooler, and water/meth injection kit. Let us know if you need more specific recommendations.

·
Registered
47 Posts

This was written with the VT1 in mind but I'm sure there's some intersection between the VT2 there, but this is what guided me in the beginning when I was planning out how much money I was gonna spend... lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys,
Been gone a few days and I started researching some tunes. Decided I want to do an ECU flash tune but am really hesitant about doing any kind of tune because of the warranty. I've been in communication with a few shops that perform the service and one in particular caught my attention called OE Tuning. The rep there said they have dyno tested and developed a tune specifically for the Veloster Turbo. He said that they have never had any issues with Hyundai dealerships and warranty, and that their tune has been tested to be very reliable. Since I just got the car I'm a little hesitant. I know any mods can void warranty as long as the dealership can prove that it caused the problem. But with an ECU tune i feel like that's different and can be a more serious concern. Any tips? Suggestions? How likely is an ECU tune to cause serious damage and or void warranty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,
Been gone a few days and I started researching some tunes. Decided I want to do an ECU flash tune but am really hesitant about doing any kind of tune because of the warranty. I've been in communication with a few shops that perform the service and one in particular caught my attention called OE Tuning. The rep there said they have dyno tested and developed a tune specifically for the Veloster Turbo. He said that they have never had any issues with Hyundai dealerships and warranty, and that their tune has been tested to be very reliable. Since I just got the car I'm a little hesitant. I know any mods can void warranty as long as the dealership can prove that it caused the problem. But with an ECU tune i feel like that's different and can be a more serious concern. Any tips? Suggestions? How likely is an ECU tune to cause serious damage and or void warranty?
Forgot to mention that I installed an K&N Typhoon CAI and Borla Exhaust already!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I feel like ECU tampering can be 50/50 with dealerships and warranty. Since I've been tuned I've just been operating as if I have no warranty. I could probably bring it in and make a case and maybe they'd be cool, but I'm just gonna assume they won't be.

Also I'm hesitant to look at tuners outside of sxth or tork mostly because they've spent so much time developing for the platform. I'm sure others have more information to offer on the tuning side but if they aren't beating the price of sxth or tork by a big margin I wouldn't even bother with anyone else. But that one is my 2 cents lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
A good tune isn't going to cause you any big issues. A bad tune will definitely having you sweating bullets.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you're concerned, get a spare ecu.
I agree with the tried and true tuners thing. If I get a tune it'll be sxth, if not them MAYBE BTR just because of my proximity to them, and if not them then I would do Tork but that would only be if I could make it to their shop.

You can get a used ecu for pretty cheap if you look around. To get sxth to tune it you probably have to ship both the spare and your current one to them for them to flash it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys for the information! It's such a tricky situation. Honestly, the only real reason I am considering this shop is because of proximity and they seem to have great reviews. I'm in California so most tuning shops are nowhere near me and it is my daily driver so I can't really afford to not have the car drivable for a week if I have to ship the ECU. This would probably be the last upgrade I make to the car but I am just really hesitant on pulling the trigger on this one lol

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
if the local shop hasn't done an veloster then don't go to them. use a vendor.

Reactions: Lephoenix

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are hesitant go with a really reputable shop that has a history of tuning the veloster turbo.
I spent so much time yesterday researching and calling different shops around my area. Most of them only do tunes on domestic cars which was a let down lol I'll do some more research on this shop and base my decision off of that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't remember if they offer remote tunes for the VT2 or not, I know it has to be a spare ECU for the N. But if you can get a remote tune with the hardware and cables, if you need to take the car in, you can just reflash your stock tune whenever you feel like with your laptop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts