Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,385 Posts
Don't think it'll void any sort of warranty it being a genuine H product and all, but it wouldn't run on your VT unless you got it flashed/paired/married to YOUR VIN number, which of course is NOT US Spec, so I am not sure if you would benefit from this or not, let alone it working on your VT ;).

·
Registered
576 Posts
The ecu should work. A couple of issues you might run into is when/if you have to go in for emissions testing. The US spec ecu might cause you to fail the emissions test due to the difference in laws. Another is if you go in and work done on the car and they need to update the ecu due to a TSB that has come out. It could possibly mess with the US spec tune that is on it since the update they are applying belongs to a EU spec tune. As far as octane is concerned the US and EU may use different octane numbers, but that's only because the way they are calculated. A US octane rating of 91 is he equivalent of 95 in EU. US 93 equals about 98 in EU. There are a few things you need to look at before making that decision.

·
2,385 Posts
Hurricane, are you sure that they can just buy a new, blank ecu and run it without having their Vin flashed to it? How will the car accept an ecu that it doesn't recognize?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I feel for you and totally don't understand that reasoning (for the weaker engine).

So, we are using that engine in another car so we cannot possibly use it in the VT... WTF? Makes no sense at all.

Aloha!

greg

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would think emissions would be your biggest hurdle.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hurricane, are you sure that they can just buy a new, blank ecu and run it without having their Vin flashed to it? How will the car accept an ecu that it doesn't recognize?
I'm pretty sure that the ecu will need to be flashed with the VIN. As for what Noxide is asking, a canned tune might screw an EU ecm up without knowing how it's set up. Tork would know way better though. But, the biggest hurdle would be the emissions.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ok here it is. I have a European-specs VT (2013 model - purchased january 2014).
For those who don't know we get the same car but with different engine power outputting.

Here is the info that wikipedia gives : veloster turbo
"The turbocharged model uses a 1.6L T-GDi Gamma engine that has different outputs depending on the destination market. In areas such as the United States, the engine outputs 150 kW (204 PS; 201 hp) at 6,000 rpm, and 27 kg·m (265 N·m; 195 lbf·ft) between 1,750-4,500 rpm. Other markets, such as Europe, receive a lower power engine outputting 186 PS (137 kW; 183 hp) at 5,500rpm with the same 256Nm of torque, but altered to come earlier in the rev range at 1500 rpm. A possible reason for the European market receiving the lower powered engine may be because the Kia Pro_Cee'd GT already makes use of the 150 kW engine in the region. The American Veloster Turbo uses the same suspension as the standard model, whereas the European version has been retuned for a firmer and more confident ride typical of sports-coupés and hot hatches sold in the region."

->> My question is: If i buy a new US ECU direct from Hyundai (Genuine Product) and just fit it in the eu-veloster turbo will this be ok and my engine will run with the american specs outputting the same 201hp without any problems? Has anyone tried this before? Will I void warranty? My main concern is about the Fuel type because we use 95,98 octane here. But if this works fine I would prefer it than using a chiptuning like DTE Systems Germany because I will get +18hp with a factory - tested ECU.
Does the European ECM produce more horsepower than the US version.

·
Registered
576 Posts
No the EU VT only runs at 186hp.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel for you and totally don't understand that reasoning (for the weaker engine).

So, we are using that engine in another car so we cannot possibly use it in the VT... WTF? Makes no sense at all.

Aloha!

greg
Definitely makes no sense. I believe the main reason for the "weaker" ecu spec setup in europe is the co2 emmission requlations and in order to keep the taxes low as a result of low emisions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts