Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a dumb idea today. Since it seems like the easiest way to get a 50/50 mix of water to methanol is to buy cold weather washer fluid, could you theoretically use the washer fluid resevoir already in the car as a tank to store the WMI mixture? Has anyone tried this before?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,171 Posts
i don't see why not, lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Search the web, this has already been done and is exactly how I plan to set mine up. Do not like the idea of passing anything thru the firewall, nor do I like the idea of running the fluid lines under the sill. I have a lap 3 pro tuner already installed, also have their water meth kit which I plan to install this winter and will use the washer tank. Consider safety here, I do not drive any of my good cars in the rain but still at least one application of washer fluid needs to be available. You never know what that truck ahead of you may drop, what deep pothole may contain muddy water on a sunny day. My plan is to use a six or eight oz. RC airplane fuel tank to give a few short bursts of washer fluid. Or perhaps keep the original washer pump in parallel with the water meth pump.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might could wire up a switch that changes which hose the fluid goes through

·
Super Moderator
4,171 Posts
already kind of have one built in, you could segregate the bottle somehow and add a second pump and just split the wiring. use the "rear" squirter function for the WMI. use the front one for the washer fluid.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one on the steering wheel is a momentary switch though, you'd need to have a constant power source for the WMI to pressurize and work. Maybe just have the washer fluid as stock, and then a toggle switch on the panel to the left of the steering wheel? Could draw from the same tank, albeit with frequent refills. Even comes with a built in fluid level low warning!

·
Super Moderator
4,171 Posts
ohhh, lol you are right. i forget that it has to be constantly active.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,424 Posts
Can use the washer reservoir but can't use over 50% meth due to safety reasons.

·
Registered
2013 VT M/T Fully built and tune +5 hp per sticker
43 Posts
I know a ton of people are using the cold weather washer fluid as their pre mix water meth. -20 degrees gets you about 30% you'll have to add in heat. But I just had a bad experience with getting a bad batch to the point it put my car into limp mode. If you can spend the extra on 100% meth and mix it yourself by weight. it's expensive about $8 a gallon unless you have a local dealer for meth. But worth it has you know what your putting in your engine. I have really bad luck @trdtoy can vouch for that so the chances of getting a bad batch happening to you are slim. But there is still a chance. Duda diesel sales 100% meth on Amazon with free shipping. $100 for 5 gallons. I know it's high but that will get you about 12 gallons of mix and you know it's perfect. I live in Nashville and do not have a local distributor for methanol that I can find.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's something I hadn't thought of before. I wonder if there's a way to test the methanol content of a bottle of washer fluid? I guess you could weigh a sample, heat it, and wait for the methanol to burn off but that seems wasteful.

·
Registered
2013 VT M/T Fully built and tune +5 hp per sticker
43 Posts
Yeah, I don't know about testing the Methanol concentration. I looked up MSDS. I had decent luck on Walmart's -20 degree. But they only carry it seasonally here in the South. Switched to Kroger's -20 which is supposed to be 30% according to their MSDS. However, when I did my mix with heat by weight it was no good. The morning after the switch when doing some Data logging it threw the car into a fit. Did a whole lot of other diagnostics and changes before figuring out that it could be a bad W/M mix. Switched it out for fresh and car has come back to life. I figured with the heat and washer fluid I was spending a little over $4.00 a gallon. I have put thousands into my build so I will spend the extra time and money to make sure I get a good water meth blend. Worth it to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts