Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2016 VT Turbo w/Manual Trans. It has every option available.
Purchased in Feb 2017.

I had a clue there were problems with Hyundai before I got the car.
The Hyndai Dealer, Round Rock Hyundai in Central Texas, was horrible and pulled a stunt with my trade-in and the auto loan.
After I had the car 2 months and called about the problems, I was told by RRH either the problems were normal or not covered under warranty.

It has been nothing but regret since. Here are the issues with my car so far:
  • Hesitation and surging during acceleration at random times. Exacerbated by heat.
  • Many interior parts are loose and not properly fastened. Causes interior rattles.
  • Carpet edge is outside passenger footwell area, not tucked under facia, and starting to curl.
  • Leather on inside edges of steering wheel delaminated and starting to peel back.
  • Leather on top of shifter knob has peeled off on passenger-side
  • Satellite radio cannot be activated.
  • Hyundai/Veloster logo peeled off one floor mat and is coming off second mat.
  • Backup camera does not always come on, and has gone off 2 times while in reverse.
This car is barely 6 months old.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Find a different dealership and have them address your issues or contact Hyundai's corporate customer service line and tell them all about your awful experience. Those issues are absolutely covered under the warranty. Yours sounds like the classic "sucker born every minute" thanks for the money- type dealership. Sorry to hear you're having problems, definitely not the norm especially for a 2016 which are considered around here to be the best by many. If you do get all of that fixed and decide to keep the car given that you are in TX I would recommend getting your windows tinted with ceramic tint to whatever your state and local laws allow if you have not already done so. Less heat in the interior of the car will lead to less issues like the ones you are having.

Despite what the manual says I find putting a minimum of 89 octane in the car helps in hotter conditions. The car does run on 87 but I found it really doesn't like it very much.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That is terrible. For what it's worth, the interior rattles and creaks will always happen, no matter what you do. No matter where you go or where you sleep, the creaks will find you to remind you that you bought an especially sh*tty sh*tbucket. The dealer can "fix" creaks and rattles but lo, one foggy morning the creaks will echo through the dew and into your subconscious once more.

The other stuff though, yeah for sure, Insanity Crow's on the money about finding a better dealer for warranty work.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Have a 2016 VT Turbo w/Manual Trans. It has every option available.
Purchased in Feb 2017.

I had a clue there were problems with Hyundai before I got the car.
The Hyndai Dealer, Round Rock Hyundai in Central Texas, was horrible and pulled a stunt with my trade-in and the auto loan.
After I had the car 2 months and called about the problems, I was told by RRH either the problems were normal or not covered under warranty.

It has been nothing but regret since. Here are the issues with my car so far:
  • Hesitation and surging during acceleration at random times. Exacerbated by heat.
  • Many interior parts are loose and not properly fastened. Causes interior rattles.
  • Carpet edge is outside passenger footwell area, not tucked under facia, and starting to curl.
  • Leather on inside edges of steering wheel delaminated and starting to peel back.
  • Leather on top of shifter knob has peeled off on passenger-side
  • Satellite radio cannot be activated.
  • Hyundai/Veloster logo peeled off one floor mat and is coming off second mat.
  • Backup camera does not always come on, and has gone off 2 times while in reverse.
This car is barely 6 months old.
Did you buy that new? If so I would park it at the dealership until it's fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Find a new dealer....like definitely... because that's not normal. The car is great, but with all these problem, I understand your frustration. Call Hyundai because all of this stuff is warranty covered.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The first two issues I think we all have it, but the remaining are new to me. Anyway the dealership should fix the issues under warranty, but he still could say that the issues were caused by normal wear and tear especially for anything peeling off, better to go to another dealer which known by a quality customers service .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Removing the small magnet in the flap inside the airbox and using premium gas seems to remove some of the surging. Either way it's still there, it's about my only disappointment with this car. Bought mine at the exact same time as you.....man I really hope my steering wheel doesn't start peeling, that drives me nuts.

I swear "the dealership is always right" applies here. When I bought mine the offered me a "VIP package" the entire conversation sounded like it was a free add-on because of the quality of my trade in. Come to find out it was a full price add on, about 5k dollars worth, extended warranty, rim and tire protection and loan insurance. Even when signing the paperwork it was hidden way down at the bottom, far away from the agreed price of the car. I've gotten my money back for the extended warranty and rim protection but am still fighting to get back the 1k dollars for the loan insurance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Removing the small magnet in the flap inside the airbox and using premium gas seems to remove some of the surging. Either way it's still there, it's about my only disappointment with this car. Bought mine at the exact same time as you.....man I really hope my steering wheel doesn't start peeling, that drives me nuts.

I swear "the dealership is always right" applies here. When I bought mine the offered me a "VIP package" the entire conversation sounded like it was a free add-on because of the quality of my trade in. Come to find out it was a full price add on, about 5k dollars worth, extended warranty, rim and tire protection and loan insurance. Even when signing the paperwork it was hidden way down at the bottom, far away from the agreed price of the car. I've gotten my money back for the extended warranty and rim protection but am still fighting to get back the 1k dollars for the loan insurance.
Is the "loan insurance" you mentioned the "Gap" insurance? Because that's honestly something you should always have on a financed vehicle imo. 1k does seem a bit much, it was 500$ when I got my car in 2016.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is the "loan insurance" you mentioned the "Gap" insurance? Because that's honestly something you should always have on a financed vehicle imo. 1k does seem a bit much, it was 500$ when I got my car in 2016.
Nah, it wasn't gap, I refused gap because my loan was supposed to be around 7k dollars, I was going to be way ahead of the loan and pay it off in 2 years. This is literally insurance where if I die or can no longer work they just pay off the loan.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Wow, that is a list of stupid things to be wrong with a brand new car. Reminds me of my father inlaw's Jetta. It doesn't help but I had almost none of those issues. The only common one is the hesitation. Not only is it that it's not a great stock tune but during the break in period the car prevents future ware by dialing back power and response a little. After about 3k miles it's gone.... at least it was in 2014.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Unless doing a zero down option, its always better to NOT do gap. Just buy down the Loan:Value or else dont buy the car that one cant afford. Ya know? Gap is scam-tastic EVEN THOUGH it saved my mother in law her 3-week new car. But her scenario was the one i told her not to do: buy something she couldnt afford.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I prefer 0 down with gap. Down payment and car gets totaled you're getting value of the car only back. Most likely you just lost your downpayment. With gap which covers up to 150% you're free to move onto next car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just curious, is this dealership located in a part oF Texas that suffered flooding earlier this year. The problems your car has sounds like flood damages, especially the interior related problems. If it was damaged that way you may be able to find water stains in areas not normally seen thus not refurbished, if you can prove this, it is illegal to sell flood damaged cars as new, but we all know damaged ew cars just do not disappear!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems like the car drives and runs much better if you're a bit smoother with things. Roll on the accelerator, don't just stomp it to the floor, shift at 5500 ish and don't tickle the redline (this car's version of a rev limiter drives me nuts). I'm not racing or anything, but it is nice to go fast now and then, just feels like you need to adjust to the car a little vs the car taking whatever inputs you give it without a hiccup.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems like the car drives and runs much better if you're a bit smoother with things. Roll on the accelerator, don't just stomp it to the floor, shift at 5500 ish and don't tickle the redline (this car's version of a rev limiter drives me nuts). I'm not racing or anything, but it is nice to go fast now and then, just feels like you need to adjust to the car a little vs the car taking whatever inputs you give it without a hiccup.
The best this car will ever drive will be the day I take it to trade in. Until then a good tune is the only way to enjoy this car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just curious, is this dealership located in a part oF Texas that suffered flooding earlier this year. The problems your car has sounds like flood damages, especially the interior related problems. If it was damaged that way you may be able to find water stains in areas not normally seen thus not refurbished, if you can prove this, it is illegal to sell flood damaged cars as new, but we all know damaged ew cars just do not disappear!!!
There is always flooding in that part of Central Texas, so that is a possibility, but I know the dealer lies so it would not matter.

The 2nd day I owned the car I found a receipt under the passenger floormat for 'paintless dent repair'. It had the VIN on the paper, so I know it was for my VT.
I looked around the car and can see circular paint irregularities on the driver and passenger door.
Called the dealer that second, and without even putting me on hold, I was told the dents and repair didn't happen, and that the car 'just arrived'.

Hail damage and other minor damage must be declared in writing in Texas on a new car. Otherwise, the car cannot be sold as new.

I purchased a 2016 model in Feb 2017 - the car did not 'just arrive'.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you buy that new? If so I would park it at the dealership until it's fixed.
It had 8 miles, after I test-drove the pig. It was new, and there were a lot of other transgressions by the big H which I haven't mentioned here.

I was not even going to buy the car at one point. When I got to finance they were pushing a loan duration and trade-in amount which was not what we had agreed to in writing.
I said NO DEAL and asked for my trade-in back. 30 minutes later and they tell me they need another day to find the car and get it back.
I had been at the dealer for 3.5 hours and they LOST my trade-in?
I felt a heart-attack coming on, so I yelled at the sales manager, said some nasty stuff to the finance lady and took the Veloster.

Every day for the next month I kept finding problems.

When I called Hyundai Customer Care I was prompted to leave a message. (Many people calling, perhaps???)

Sent an email and got no response. Wrote a letter and sent via Postal Service. Heard nothing.

I will not accept putting lipstick on my pig. If the car is coming apart at 6 months then there is a quality problem.

Having an inept auto service technician fixing the issues with the car does not change the quality, and only ensures it will need to be fixed again in another year.

And, because of keyless start, its technically too complicated to drive the VT off a cliff without a driver.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts