Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
So rather than calling the police to get your car back you just bought the Veloster? Just saying.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
It had 8 miles, after I test-drove the pig. It was new, and there were a lot of other transgressions by the big H which I haven't mentioned here.

I was not even going to buy the car at one point. When I got to finance they were pushing a loan duration and trade-in amount which was not what we had agreed to in writing.
I said NO DEAL and asked for my trade-in back. 30 minutes later and they tell me they need another day to find the car and get it back.
I had been at the dealer for 3.5 hours and they LOST my trade-in?
I felt a heart-attack coming on, so I yelled at the sales manager, said some nasty stuff to the finance lady and took the Veloster.

Every day for the next month I kept finding problems.

When I called Hyundai Customer Care I was prompted to leave a message. (Many people calling, perhaps???)

Sent an email and got no response. Wrote a letter and sent via Postal Service. Heard nothing.

I will not accept putting lipstick on my pig. If the car is coming apart at 6 months then there is a quality problem.

Having an inept auto service technician fixing the issues with the car does not change the quality, and only ensures it will need to be fixed again in another year.

And, because of keyless start, its technically too complicated to drive the VT off a cliff without a driver.
You can still drive it off a cliff. Another idea is to set the car on fire near the evap canaster as its a TSB. If they didn't replace it already that is. Of course, now that I gave you this idea you'd better hope the lawyers don't see this post or you'll be in hot water.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This was a harsh lesson to learn, I think, and it's one we all should truly understand: The power of saying "No.". I actually feel sorry for you, Alg, yoiu got hassled into something you did not entirely want. Just remember this experience, the anger, the embarrassment (because you should be, honestly) so it does not happen again. Also, at the point where they lost your call, you should have immediately called the police and watched how quickly their attitude changed.

Buuut you still have some options...

1) Read up on lemon law and take it a different Hyundai dealer for warranty work. And I'm not flirting with you or trying to be funny, but if you're cute and generally look young and know how to smile a lot, come to them like a puppy with a splinter in it's taint. Please for help because you're just an innocent taken advantage of by savages. Also, when you speak to the receptionist, learn her name, so if the main people don't help you can go to her and ask, oh so sincerely "Is there anything else I can do? I just want my new car to work right" as you blink sad, puppy eyes. Don't go nuclear with lemon law talk, though, at the dealer. Remember, you're a harmless wee lad who just needs a little few hundreds of dollars on the dealer's dime to have your car fixed, is all. Laugh all you want, but that shit works. ...but only if you're cute. If you look like a muppet, find a cute person to do this for you. I'm in the DFW area and I cut you a deal for surrogate services if you're interested.

2) Keep doing number one until all issues are resolved. Don't take "No" for an answer means that you keep trying multiple dealers until one cooperates. By dealer number 3 or 4, if it gets that bad, you can be assertive and stern, but never loose that cuteness edge. And in the meantime, learn to enjoy the few good things about the car, saving up down-payment money to trade the sh*tbucket in for something else.

I too kinda grew to hate this rackety POSbucket over the last year, but today I still enjoy its head turning looks, wonderful fuel economy, and the voice commands through Bluetooth. Plus I banged someone in the rear bench once and so can you. Keep us up to date on how this all goes. Best wishes!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This was a harsh lesson to learn, I think, and it's one we all should truly understand: The power of saying "No.". I actually feel sorry for you, Alg, yoiu got hassled into something you did not entirely want. Just remember this experience, the anger, the embarrassment (because you should be, honestly) so it does not happen again. Also, at the point where they lost your call, you should have immediately called the police and watched how quickly their attitude changed.!
Sure i'm embarrassed. But this is not just something where I was hassled.

I realize no one outside Texas would understand this, but YOU DO NOT CALL the Police in Round Rock Texas for any reason.
Its the Number One way to get arrested for a crime that did not occur, or shot because 'you were in the wrong place at the wrong time'.

Next, I would like you all to truly think about what you WOULD have done in that situation.
I'm old enough to know how to behave. I considered what I WANTED to do, but in a regular public environment these days, it is not smart to DO some of those things no matter how innocent.
I had 30 minutes to think about my options and actions, and at my age I didn't feel the outcome would be worth the escalation.
My trade in was a 13 year old VW beetle. I love that car, but it was done. Jail and a visit from the RR Jackboot thugs was more than the VW was worth and cost 2X more flesh that my ass has.

My every interaction with the dealer was poor. After 3.5 hours YOU have to decide how things will end - it was clear the dealer would continue to go full-metal scumbag, so had I not made a 'peaceful' decision, something bad would have probably happened.

Up until I got the VT I figured I knew what I would do if such a thing happened. But when you are sitting in Round Rock trying to determine if this is really happening you will realize that the escalation is likely to not work out in your favor.

There is also a reason I have not taken the dent receipt to the Dealer - attorney is looking into the matter. You don't take your evidence to the enemy until compelled by the courts.

The best part is that my wife was present for the whole thing. This all happened, and its not just my point of view.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I know I would have said "No." because I am a secure adult male but let's not make this about me.

I'm sorry if I came off like a butthead, and I truly do hope you guys will have a happy ending.

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
Typical hysteria over police... I mean come on like a cop is going to shoot you over issues with a car... my brother is a police officer and this crap BS that people say about the police pisses me off.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Typical hysteria over police... I mean come on like a cop is going to shoot you over issues with a car... my brother is a police officer and this crap BS that people say about the police pisses me off.
I agree, the police can't do anything. I was a cop for 7 years and I've taken reports from several people that experienced a particular dealer doing this. Of course they always call afterwards but here's how the scenario goes.

The dealer tells the people to leave their car and take the new car for an extended test drive. They sign a few liability papers and they're on the way. When they come back that night and say they changed their mind and want their old car back guess what the dealer says? We sold it.

They point out that the paper they signed (small print) gave them permission to sell the car if they got a buyer. Then they pull the "we're so sorry, let us see if we can get it back". After you've been there for a few hours they come back and tell you they can't get the car back but to make amends we're going to give you a great deal on the new car.

This dealership got investigated after the nearby AF base banned them and come to find out they were taking the cars and parking them on another lot so it looked like the car was gone. That dealership got shut down about a month later.

I guarantee they probably had you sign something before you went on that test drive. If you signed absolutely nothing then yes, the police should have been contacted.

I worked at a dealership as well for 2 years when I was between careers. Dealers don't like me when I buy a car. I'm not unreasonable but I don't allow them to try all their sales training on me. I do my research and I go in with a realistic price that is usually below invoice through a club or association discount. I give them an hour to put it together and then I leave. If they make it happen they can call me when the paperwork is ready for signing and if not I don't go back. I don't have the time to allow a dealership to waste my time.

I'm not saying that to brag but you're the one spending the money. There is no reason for you to sit there while they do what? Work other deals? They think the longer they have you there the more likely you are to buy extra bull$hit because you just want to get out of there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My apologies to your sensitivity. My son is a Police Officer, he knows what really happens, so we have both seen reality and it is not BS.

If you check some Facts, you will see that fear of police is warranted in many Central Texas towns.

That one citizen can be ticketed, injured, incarcerated, or killed by a member of law enforcement or the courts when they are 100% innocent means that NONE of them should be trusted by We The People.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
My apologies to your sensitivity. My son is a Police Officer, he knows what really happens, so we have both seen reality and it is not BS.

If you check some Facts, you will see that fear of police is warranted in many Central Texas towns.

That one citizen can be ticketed, injured, incarcerated, or killed by a member of law enforcement or the courts when they are 100% innocent means that NONE of them should be trusted by We The People.
Umm, ok...I'm going to let that one just die on it's own.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Fact.... you had the easy out to get rid of the car. Just to add did a search on news for the dreaded Round Rock police and nothing... unless the press is afraid to get shot too...
I can tell you with 100% confidence that for every 1 incident he can post of police shooting "proven" innocent people I can post 100 examples of police being attacked.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Op, check the dealership whitelist.
http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-turbo-problems-help/10060-hyundai-dealer-whitelist-go-these-dealers-2.html

The second post is in TX. Of course Texas is a big ass state so I don't know how close it is to you it is.

Reading this thread, geez way to kick a man while he is down. If my VT gave me all those issues I'd hate it too.

Good luck op. Chances are you're stuck with the car. Rattles are pain in the ass. Mine only happens in the extreme cold. I removed trims and added foam every where and got rid of most of it.

The rest of your list --good luck with a good dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It had 8 miles, after I test-drove the pig. It was new, and there were a lot of other transgressions by the big H which I haven't mentioned here.

I was not even going to buy the car at one point. When I got to finance they were pushing a loan duration and trade-in amount which was not what we had agreed to in writing.
I said NO DEAL and asked for my trade-in back. 30 minutes later and they tell me they need another day to find the car and get it back.
I had been at the dealer for 3.5 hours and they LOST my trade-in?
I felt a heart-attack coming on, so I yelled at the sales manager, said some nasty stuff to the finance lady and took the Veloster.

Every day for the next month I kept finding problems.

When I called Hyundai Customer Care I was prompted to leave a message. (Many people calling, perhaps???)

Sent an email and got no response. Wrote a letter and sent via Postal Service. Heard nothing.

I will not accept putting lipstick on my pig. If the car is coming apart at 6 months then there is a quality problem.

Having an inept auto service technician fixing the issues with the car does not change the quality, and only ensures it will need to be fixed again in another year.

And, because of keyless start, its technically too complicated to drive the VT off a cliff without a driver.
I had the same experience with Ford trying to get me into a Focus ST. Called me in said they'll let it go for 30k(canadian) by the time I got a test drive done and quotes printed off the starting price went back up to 37K(Canadian). I politely told the salesman that we're not in the same ball park, I was ready to buy the moment we agreed on a price. I had him at 30K but the manager decided to intervene saying it was a limited edition blah blah blah. Trying to take me for a sucker, I said to him its a 2016 not my first choice in a performance car. If I wasn't getting it for the price I wanted then it wasn't going to work out.

Few days later a dozens of phone calls from Ford sales person, he talked me down to 34k said the car was ready to go just needed me to say yes, even was going to give me an additional 2k(canadian) for my current car. I laughed said I'm sorry I just don't think I'm being clear enough, I gave you a price if we can't meet on that price then I have to walk away. I already told him I was test driving other cars and the Focus ST was like 3rd or 4th on my list interest wise.

He kept bragging up the car, telling me I'd be foolish not to buy it since it was the sweetest ride in town blah blah blah. I looked at him and said, theres about 500 things about this car I could tell you about that you didn't know. I know exactly what this car is, I've driven it, I've compared it to others and have decided its not for me at the price of 34k.

That was the last time I heard from this salesperson. But I knew if I had signed for the car I would have experienced a huge screw around with recalls and stupid stuff that the dealership was known for. With my current fiesta I just dropped it off today to get some work done, I know I'll be annoyed about something they did but oh well I'm done with them in less than a year. Sooner if I get my hands on a car that I truely love.

Your first mistake was working with a dealership that was giving you problems, I walked away from that Focus ST even though the dealership was holding off on selling it until we finished negotiating. I've gone to many dealerships in my town talked to the staff, got to know some mechanics at each shop. Asked around about the staff at each location to see where I would get the best customer service.

So after all that effort I've narrowed down to specific cars that I would consider buying. The Veloster Turbo is high on my list, good price, great enjoyment, I know a few guys that have owned them without major issues. The Hyundai dealership here is great, anything to get business is their attitude.

Sorry you got caught up in a terrible agreement with a dealership, if you spoke with Hyundai corporation they would have address most of those issues. I'd suggest the same thing everyone else has, go to another hyundai location and get your car repaired. Tell them the issues you had with the other dealership, its not Hyundai thats the problem its the sole issue with the location you were dealing with.

Hyundai here is great, ford here is crap. Ford on the other side of my province is great, hyundai not so much from what I hear.

Hope this helps you finish off your lease.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
its not Hyundai thats the problem its the sole issue with the location you were dealing with.
That is what you would think, but...

Heres a last update on this issue:

Hyundai customer service never contacted me, even after a call, an email, and a letter over the last 4 months.

Found the number to Hyundai in california and called them. Eventually talked to someone that says they received one of the emails.
Apparently, Hyundai tried to call me one time a few months ago, but since I didn't answer they closed the issue.
I asked if I could just talk to anyone about the car. I was told someone would call me back in 2 days.

Someone called a day later and left his first name and that he worked for Hyundai. He didn't leave a phone number.
Calling the number of origin went to customer service.
Talked to them about trying to reach the caller, and was told he would be notified that I called and he will call me back in 2 days.

A day later I hear from Hyundai. The short version is that they will fix some of the interior problems (steering wheel, loose covers), but not the floor mats or the shift knob.
They will look at the hesitation, but based on what they find will determine if it is warranted or not.
They will not make the appointment for me though. I have to call a dealer to make an appt, which means I will probably be told that none of the interior is covered under warranty.

Hyundai did not want to discuss, and did not seemed concerned about the dealer 'experience' I had.

So, no. The issue is not with the dealer. This company is crap, and it has apparently flowed downhill into every crevice and corner of the business.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts