Veloster Turbo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Only used on the high side. But it eliminates the need to recirculate the back into the intake tract and find its way to the turbo

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
You can actually install two OCC's. There are two lines. One that goes to the intake manifold and another that goes to the intake rubber after the air filter, but before the turbo.

The most useful OCC is inserted in the line that goes to the intake manifold. The other line sometimes is routed to the atmosphere with the hole in the intake rubber blocked off.

The second one is the one they talk about using a breather as opposed to running it back into the rubber intake hose. This line carries very little vapor and does not really need an OCC.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I swear I'll make a better version of this later. I threw this together very quickly. Working on an PCV OCC loop graphic now.

FOR VALVE COVER Four possibilities.

Manifold OCC Types.jpg

The hack job on these graphics is nauseating - but gets the job done for now.

FOR PCV
PCV OCC.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Picture of my can, Going to mount it probooooooobly near the intake eventually. Just been real lathargic.
Also a run down of direction
1.pcv
2.hose to OCC
3.OCC with some fancy interior work with the help of fuel hose and stainless steel scrubby(refer to OCC thread)
4.Fuel line hose to original PCV hose
5.One way check valve
6.Original PCV hose to intake manifold
7.???
8.Profit?
20161216_160147.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Trying to figure out.... is two cans necessary ? If the intake can be blocked and second line can be vented to atmosphere. .. does this cause lower hp? Any downsides to venting atmosphere?
Why is 2 cans considered the better solution? Is it additional insurance for pcv failure only?

Female here, so keep it simple, Im mechanically declined.:serious:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok, just went to see and decipher why some may see need a second can. I loosened the hose connected to the intake filter tube, and i dont see a pcv valve on it btw, and there is oily black liquid.. so I agree theres a need for catch can as this is routed straight to turbo and around the backside. The other runs to the intake manifold.

Idea:

If i tee the two hoses together and run into one oil catch can and the return hose then connected to intake manifold, would this work?

there is a check valve on the pvc, but the intake is always open drawing air thru intake tube.. is this correct. Dont flame me for my ignorance.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Ok, just went to see and decipher why some may see need a second can. I loosened the hose connected to the intake filter tube, and i dont see a pcv valve on it btw, and there is oily black liquid.. so I agree theres a need for catch can as this is routed straight to turbo and around the backside. The other runs to the intake manifold.

Idea:

If i tee the two hoses together and run into one oil catch can and the return hose then connected to intake manifold, would this work?

there is a check valve on the pvc, but the intake is always open drawing air thru intake tube.. is this correct. Dont flame me for my ignorance.
That will not work. Both sides are independent and need to operate separately in order to work together. You can get away with pulling the hose off the intake tube and running with no OCC on the breather side but that oil vapor has to go somewhere. You can replace the breather hose with a 4' length of the same size hose and instead of attaching to the one end to the intake tube run the hose under the car, below the battery, so that it drains underneath toward the back of engine bay near fire wall. That will keep the vapors from smelling up the engine bay.

I have mine set up like that but also have an OCC in line and I still get residue coming out of the hose.

Reactions: TURGIN

·
Registered
199 Posts

Idea:

Turgin, jump back to the two photos I posted.

The first photo gives 4 options for the Valve Cover. Many of us just vent this with a hose and breather as there is no reason to send it back to the intake tube. Plus, it works, is cheap and is easy.

The second photo shows an OCC setup for the PCV. Some OCC have different IN/OUT fittings. The main idea is to maintain the flow path.

PCV > OCC > Check Valve > Intake Manifold

The Check Valve prevents the OCC from getting pressurized when under boost. It also protects and extends the life of the PCV.

Intake Manifold under vacuum = flow from PCV > OCC > Check Valve > Intake Manifold
Intake Manifold under boost = Check Valve stops backwards pressure toward OCC & PCV

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm pretty sure my Inlet is coming from pcv, outlet being connected back through intake. Not sure if my buddy put a check valve from the outlet back to the intake. Any chance what would it sound like if the catch can was pressurised under boost. Would I leak oil or notice oil on the outside anywhere? I noticed when wot under boost like 3rd gear, it sounds like pssh psssh psssh like releasing extra boost. Could it be the wastegate fluttering?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Pressurizing the can won't hurt anything if it's a high quality can that seals well. Many people run with just the OCC and the PCV, no check valve.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Indeed. One perk about having a can that doesn't open for easy cleaning is that I've never worried it might fail under pressure. It would have to become a pipe bomb first.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Most of the quality cans open fairly easy for cleaning but they seal well when closed. Keep in mind, we're only talking maybe 22-25 psi if your tuned and I I'm not mistaken the PCV circuit only see's a fraction of that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
THANK YALL! I appreciate the updated info on the occ.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also asked ty bardy for his help deciphering the .... thousand or so different opinions on occ setups. Will vent breather side underneath as suggested by, now 3, regularly seen contributing members. When your new to a forum.. you never know who knows their stuff and well, then theres me, just call me clueless. As i told ty this is the first hyundai, turbo, gdi, and manual.... lol I owned.. so, clueless fits perfect.
And I prefer quality parts.... but quality with a gimmick bothers me and my banker. The only reason i see now for two cans is 1. For reduced smells, and 2. For the neat freaks who arent thrilled to know there is oily residue splashing against the undercarriage... but, saving the price of an additional occ, and opting for a cai instead, I think I can handle the oil and dirt . Thanks again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now.... I picked a mishimoto 2 port baffled, will pick up a check valve, extra hose, and a small filter... with a filter on the end maybe i wont have a big mess on underneath
cause im kinda a neat freak..

41 - 60 of 78 Posts