Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What company would you recommend for an aftermarket carbon fiber hood? Any ideas what the weight difference would be?

·
Registered
870 Posts
At the moment there is Seibon which makes for the Veloster and im thinking it should fit the Turbo model:)

These are itemns we can get:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, do you have any pics you could post of this hood on the Veloster?

·
Registered
45 Posts
the regular veloster had a CF hood and CF deck lid out there...wonder if they will have the same options for the VT

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
they will fit on both, so no need to have another one made.. the weight savings would be significant but not really affect the car much in my opinion other than looks. A lot of money for very little performance gain.

There is a hatch available on Rhys Millen also. The hatch would be very beneficial if you went with some type of lightweight 'window' material. Otherwise it would be mainly for looks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not a big fan if the hatch but I like the hood just solely for looks but I'll wait until it comes down a lil..

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
If I want the CF look, I will go with Di-noc. I like the matte, textured look better anyway. And if I got sick of it, just peel it off, polish up the hood and back to stock.. It would cost buttloads less, look better IMO, no worries about fitment issues, vibration of hood at high speeds, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
agreed this is more for looks than function...but elite white pearl......with pretty much a CF stripe and black rims......SICK!!!! :p

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate, if the CF hood weighs 20-lbs, it would seem to me, using it instead of the very heavy steel hood is going to represent a decent amount of weight savings, and, that weight savings is over the front of the car, the part that is already the heaviest.

In my experience when it comes to weight savings as a method of improving performance, you never ever find one major, perfect thing to change, weight savings always comes by way of a little here, a little there, a little more over there, and so on and so on.

So, in my mind, $700 bucks ain't too bad for what would be a very big contribution towards the weight savings game.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
you would only be saving ~20-30 pounds at the maximum by getting a CF hood. The Veloster hood is relatively small as it is.

saving ~20 lbs up front is not bad, but going to be pretty negligible when it comes to increasing the F/R balance, performance and economy. Will it be beneficial? of course. but for 700$-850$ there is a lot of things you could do to actually improve the performance much more than saving that weight would do for you.

A battery relocation to the trunk would be much more beneficial performance wise to the weight ratio and cost much less. Granted if you had money flowing out your ears, you could do both.

A CF hood, specially the ~500-700$ mainstream ones that are mostly FG with a cosmetic CF layer also.

·
Registered
287 Posts
you would only be saving ~20-30 pounds at the maximum by getting a CF hood.
And that is a weight savings, big? no, but better than a sharp stick in the eye...
I spent $200 on a racing energy cell for the S2000 and reduced the "battery" weight by just under 20-lbs, and to me it was worth it
It all depends upon your wallet and your dedication to a weight savings program, and CF hood is one of many things that can and will be done for some
And for those who love the look, now the weight savings cost is also amortized into the looks cool cost, so now the hood costs half as much for weight savings :)

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
no doubt, if you have deep pockets and wanting to extract the most out of the car as possible without building the engine and such, a CF hood is a good idea. Just pointing out that a CF hood is more of a 'looks' modification than a true performance modification.

What I am trying to get at is that if someone is trying to drop weight of the car there are many cheaper and easier ways to do it. Even when wanting to increase the performance of the car, money is better spent elsewhere.

My point here is if you had a limited budget and were wanting to increase the performance of your car, money would better be spent almost anywhere else.. A set of wheels for example would drop about the same amount of weight AND be un-sprung weight, getting a tune, upgraded turbo, complete exhaust AND intake system. the list goes on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
no doubt, if you have deep pockets and wanting to extract the most out of the car as possible without building the engine and such, a CF hood is a good idea. Just pointing out that a CF hood is more of a 'looks' modification than a true performance modification.

What I am trying to get at is that if someone is trying to drop weight of the car there are many cheaper and easier ways to do it. Even when wanting to increase the performance of the car, money is better spent elsewhere.

My point here is if you had a limited budget and were wanting to increase the performance of your car, money would better be spent almost anywhere else.. A set of wheels for example would drop about the same amount of weight AND be un-sprung weight, getting a tune, upgraded turbo, complete exhaust AND intake system. the list goes on.
I don't disagree with ya, and I hear what you are saying loud and clear, you are 100% right, but, some people do have the deep pockets, and any weight reduction is good, be it 20-30 pounds on a hood, or a diet that drops the driver's weight by a couple pounds, it's all good, and I too have every intention of starting with wheels for the unsprung advantage, I just wanted to make sure the CF hood was not entirely put down, because it is a weight reducer, only the buyer knows their pocketbook and goals

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
right on, I just had to share my opinion.

There are so many people out there who don't KNOW the KNOW and think because they see CF hoods all over that their car will be so much quicker because 'weight reduction'. Those same people would leave the stock 40lb battery and all the other crap the manufacturer puts in the car for sound deadening and comfort. I just wanted to point out also there are easier and MUCH cheaper ways to give your hood the look without swapping hoods.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I want the CF look, I will go with Di-noc. I like the matte, textured look better anyway. And if I got sick of it, just peel it off, polish up the hood and back to stock.. It would cost buttloads less, look better IMO, no worries about fitment issues, vibration of hood at high speeds, etc.
What's Di-noc????? Sounds interesting!

·
Registered
130 Posts
What's Di-noc????? Sounds interesting!
It's 3M Di-Noc is a vinyl sheet which you can lay over the car parts. For example your hood is shining white, and you cover that up with a sheet of vinyl sheet. However, I heard from other forums on this issue is that 3M Di-Noc is one of the best.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts