Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did the first oil change on my 2013 Turbo Veloster. I pulled the plug and filter and let sit 45 minutes to drain. I put a new filter on and added 4.8 quarts per the manual. It states 4.8 quarts for the Turbo GDI and 3.8 for the GDI. When I checked the dipstick, it was measuring about a half inch over the full mark. I was a little concerned because I only drained out just under 4 quarts to begin with. Was I burning oil? Or does this car really only take 4 quarts?

I drained 28 ounces out from a plug drop and now the dipstick measures properly. I was concerned maybe there was a second oil reservoir. I called the Hyundai dealership and they assured me there is only one drain plug. Any body else having this issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warmed the car up to operating temp and then drained. Car was sitting on a flat surface. I've done 100's of oil changes on other cars, this is my first on this car. I have plenty of experience with oil changes. The only thing I can think of is that Hyundai has their numbers wrong or there is a second drain plug I'm not seeing. There is approximately 4 quarts in the car now (give or take 2 ounces) and it is measuring right at full now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Warmed the car up to operating temp and then drained. Car was sitting on a flat surface. I've done 100's of oil changes on other cars, this is my first on this car. I have plenty of experience with oil changes. The only thing I can think of is that Hyundai has their numbers wrong or there is a second drain plug I'm not seeing. There is approximately 4 quarts in the car now (give or take 2 ounces) and it is measuring right at full now.
4 qts had mine full + a bit. Cranked ran 20 seconds checked level, full. I'm calling it 4 qts.

ETA: As always I let the car sit overnight after running to operating temperature for about 30 miles. I realize there are 2 schools of thought, I subscribe to this one.:wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 qts had mine full + a bit. Cranked ran 20 seconds checked level, full. I'm calling it 4 qts.

ETA: As always I let the car sit overnight after running to operating temperature for about 30 miles. I realize there are 2 schools of thought, I subscribe to this one.:wink:
Glad I'm not the only one with the same results. Even the dealer says their computer suggests 4.75qt. I'm thinking I'm right at about 4 quarts after draining some oil. Just like you, I'm a about 1-2 mm over the full mark. I'm starting to think the capacity is 3.8qt regardless of GDI or Turbo GDI. Don't know why the manual has different capacities for each.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one with the same results. Even the dealer says their computer suggests 4.75qt. I'm thinking I'm right at about 4 quarts after draining some oil. Just like you, I'm a about 1-2 mm over the full mark. I'm starting to think the capacity is 3.8qt regardless of GDI or Turbo GDI. Don't know why the manual has different capacities for each.
You don't ever know, they may have planned an oil cooler or bigger filter for the turbo that didn't happen so they upped the call. I trust the stick and will be using Mobil 1 in this engine like every other gas engine I've owned in the last 20 years. .75qt over or under isn't likely to hurt it, although as with most things I would error to the high side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't ever know, they may have planned an oil cooler or bigger filter for the turbo that didn't happen so they upped the call. I trust the stick and will be using Mobil 1 in this engine like every other gas engine I've owned in the last 20 years. .75qt over or under isn't likely to hurt it, although as with most things I would error to the high side.
The mechanic said 1-2mm over full won't do damage. The half inch I started with would have possible negative effects (damaging gaskets under too much pressure, or at least creating a smoke screen down the road, lol). Just started Mobil 1 5W 30. I use Mobil 1 in everything I've ever owned as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just did the first oil change on my 2013 Turbo Veloster. I pulled the plug and filter and let sit 45 minutes to drain. I put a new filter on and added 4.8 quarts per the manual. It states 4.8 quarts for the Turbo GDI and 3.8 for the GDI. When I checked the dipstick, it was measuring about a half inch over the full mark. I was a little concerned because I only drained out just under 4 quarts to begin with. Was I burning oil? Or does this car really only take 4 quarts?

I drained 28 ounces out from a plug drop and now the dipstick measures properly. I was concerned maybe there was a second oil reservoir. I called the Hyundai dealership and they assured me there is only one drain plug. Any body else having this issue?
Are you draining the car with jacks? Perhaps the tilt is not allowing a full drain.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I couldn't tell you how much oil I put in. I just trust the dipstick. I know there is always a little bit of oil left in the jug every time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Are you draining the car with jacks? Perhaps the tilt is not allowing a full drain.
I raised it with a jack, set a stand, opened it up, put it back on the ground and let it run. Mine was slightly over full before I run/checked for leaks, and it took 4 qts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can someone else check what I have found here. If you check the oil shortly after shutting it down...the oil level is at full. If you check it like 1 hr later it is way over full. I know some is drain back from the top end but I have never seen it to this extreme. Does the turbo add to the amount of drain back?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I noticed mine after dealer change is a bit over....gonna have to make sure they don't over fill...

·
Registered
139 Posts
i do probably 4-7 veloster turbo oil changes a month (not that many here in winnipeg) and i have never once used more than 3.8 liters of 5-40w Synthetic. even though the oil spec sheet (we have a value for every vehicle) says 4.5 liters with filter. but for those of you who have actually taken an oil pan off a vehicle there is about .5-1 liter of oil stuck in the pan (depends how long you drain it).

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We work on litres and the manual states 4.5 litre to fill but actual is 4 litres, so it's half a litre out in the handbook. I loosen the filter and the drain bolt with the car raised and then lower it to drain fully. Who knows what an ounce or a quart is though!

Oddly my motorcycle specifies 4 litres in the hanndbook but actual is 4.5 litres, so it's a half litre out the other way.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i do probably 4-7 veloster turbo oil changes a month (not that many here in winnipeg) and i have never once used more than 3.8 liters of 5-40w Synthetic. even though the oil spec sheet (we have a value for every vehicle) says 4.5 liters with filter. but for those of you who have actually taken an oil pan off a vehicle there is about .5-1 liter of oil stuck in the pan (depends how long you drain it).
same here agree 100%

·
Registered
639 Posts
I work at a express lube and all Hyundai's And Kia's do this. The VT called for 4.8qts I put in 4.2, let it run (pressure test) and then checked, it was right on the full mark. I have no clue why this happens on all Hyundai's and Kia's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm glad I am not the only one to experience this. I drained my car with it at operating temperature on a level lift. Fill it with 4 1/2 quarts and check the oil level before continuing just to be safe, and I'm way over! I thought I was just stupid or didn't let it drain enough.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Funny somewhat related story.
I have had a series of Dodge pick ups with Cummins "B" model engines in them. I was using a local speed lube type of place for my oil changes. When you pull into the bay a gang of people swarm your vehicle like some weird chapter from Gullivers Travels, cleaning windows and vacuuming, checking the breather element and tires. Of course one guy is dumping the oil and.changing the filter while another waits impatiently to refill the engine with a measured charge of fresh oil.

All of this despite the fact I'm really not in any rush.

For those of you who are not familiar with this engine it is an I6 and the cylinder head is about 30" long and a foot wide, flatter than a skillet. The engine is fitted with a catch can on the blow by tube, as it is turbocharged and will aspirate some oil. Every time they would service my engine it would puke the can full of oil and it would slobber all over the front of the engine. So the day following a service.I pull the stick.cold and it is about 1.5qts over full. I return to the shop and am greated eagerly, I explain the engine is over full and ask them to drain some. Gomer says no problem and sets about the task, while I go wait in the lobby.

In a minute the owner/manager comes into the lobby waving the 4 foot long dip stick like a rapier raging because I dared question the quality of the work and wanting me to look the the stick, clearly demonstrating it is not over full. He had no interest in the problem which.was residual oil on the head/rocker box, and as you can probably imagine the.conversation spiraled downward from civility from that point on. I ultimately took the stick from him, reinserted it and drove out of his shop never to return.

Moral of the story is drain your engines well, and check.the work of others.

I typed this diatribe an a cellular phone with my large Anglo Saxon thumbs and a keyboard the size of a postage stamp, so you'll have to get over all the extra periods( whose idea was it to put the period next to the space bar anyway) and if you don't enjoy this story after all the effort I put into it tough shit, move along.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I had this happen during my first oil change and have since been just doing 3.8. That usually brings it right up perfectly to the line. And when I drive around a bit after a change and then check the stick it is almost so clear you can't tell there's any oil on it. If there was a whole quart of oil that wasn't changed, it would not be this clear.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts