Veloster Turbo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah that's the weird thing I am paying for the oil changes because I had issues with warranty work before so to keep it safe I go to the dealer all the time but the price is the same as the 4 quart oil change idk maybe that's just what it says on the paper work. What kind of oil do all of u recommend. Full synthetic or semi synthetic. I have been using semi synthetic I have small motor noiselike every 4 cylinder but I want it gone lol.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Stick with semi until you hit 3 or 4k, then switch to amsoil or a few other real synthetics.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just did the first oil change on my 2013 Turbo Veloster. I pulled the plug and filter and let sit 45 minutes to drain. I put a new filter on and added 4.8 quarts per the manual. It states 4.8 quarts for the Turbo GDI and 3.8 for the GDI. When I checked the dipstick, it was measuring about a half inch over the full mark. I was a little concerned because I only drained out just under 4 quarts to begin with. Was I burning oil? Or does this car really only take 4 quarts?

I drained 28 ounces out from a plug drop and now the dipstick measures properly. I was concerned maybe there was a second oil reservoir. I called the Hyundai dealership and they assured me there is only one drain plug. Any body else having this issue?
Looking at the manual online it says 3.5qt US qt of oil or 3.3 liters
Hyundai Veloster: Recommended lubricants and capacities - Specifications, Consumer information, Reporting safety defects - Hyundai Veloster 2010-2014 Owner's Manual

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 15k on mine already and just want that slight noise to go away... Either that or hide it with intake and ark dts exhaust lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had free oil changes for life with my 14 VT but they say its good for 7500 miles. i'm currently at 13k and am choosing to do it myself for convience I bought 5 quarts of royal purple I am curious if the dealer would have been using synthetic oil if they suggest such long mileage between oil changes. my mechanic said a synthetic oil change is good for 10k miles either way I guess I 'm going to add 4 quarts and check the dipstick?

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
I had free oil changes for life with my 14 VT but they say its good for 7500 miles. i'm currently at 13k and am choosing to do it myself for convience I bought 5 quarts of royal purple I am curious if the dealer would have been using synthetic oil if they suggest such long mileage between oil changes. my mechanic said a synthetic oil change is good for 10k miles either way I guess I 'm going to add 4 quarts and check the dipstick?
Return the Royal Purple and Get the Rotella T6 5w40 or Penzoil Ultra 5w40.

Royal Purple changed their formula several years ago and is overpriced junk at best now.

Welcome to the forums. Make sure you use a Hyundai OEM filter as well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
wow really thanks so much for the input I thought it was the best I could get I'll do that. what is this about the oem filter I got a mobil 1 filter also thought $$$ was better should I swap that also?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday, and I put 4.5 qts of Mobil 1 5w-30, and it's right on the full mark... I ran the car for a few min, then let it sit for a few min before checking, I also checked it before I drained it and it was right on the make like when I was done.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dealer changed the oil as usual, however, I latter checked the dip stick and noted it was between 1/4 and 1/3 quart over fill. So went to dealer to ask what's up. They said you can run over and no problem...but they would take some out if I desired...so I requested the oil be to or a little below the fill line. I said the Turbo has enough challenges and I want to be 100% within warranty should I just happen to blow an engine. :haha:

So don't assume the dealer gets it right all the time.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
.. So don't assume the dealer even gets it right some of the time.
Fixed for ya :wink:

I never do .. altho if they get it wrong and something f's up under warranty they are liable.

Reactions: vt_guest123

·
Registered
37 Posts
I changed my oil last week when I hit 1,036 miles, I put 4.5 qts in, I thought it was fine, but today I check when I got to work (let car sit 2 min) and it is over the full line, maybe 1/2" or so... couldn't tell when I changed it was clear like water.... I jump on myhyundia and e-mail them to see what's up... kinda curious to what they say...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
It's been known for a while that the manual is incorrect (and dealers are also misinformed). The correct amount of oil for a full oil change (including the filter) is 4.2 US quarts, or 4 Liters. Luckily for us here in Canada it's sold in liters .. so I've never even questioned it :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's been known for a while that the manual is incorrect (and dealers are also misinformed). The correct amount of oil for a full oil change (including the filter) is 4.2 US quarts, or 4 Liters. Luckily for us here in Canada it's sold in liters .. so I've never even questioned it :wink:
so I put in 4.5, so I'm .3 over, think I should worry about it? 4.2 is like 4 1/4 anyway right?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes. Drain a 1/4 quart out.
I pulled the plug when I got home, not sure if it was 1/4 of a qt or not, I was going to capture it in a solo cup to pour into an empty qt to measure, but that didn't work out too well... made a mess... but in any case I checked it today when I got to work (couldn't do it @ home since the area I was parked in the driveway was slanted) and it all good..... I still can't believe after all this time there is no TSB and the manule's haven't been updated to the correct amount...

on a side note, with over 400 miles on this oil, it's still nice and clean....

41 - 60 of 90 Posts