Veloster Turbo Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I buy gallon jugs, and fill the filter before screwing it back on, oil level ends up at the full mark every time and stays there for the life of the oil.
I wanted to mention this as well. Do you pre fill the oil filter before installation? That seems to soak up 1/2 a quart ish.... I don't exactly measure. I always end up with a little extra in the last bottle and I save it for the next change and dump it into the engine once the drain flow slows to a drip. The fresh oil likely just runs over the ld crap and goes right out but I feel like a went the extra step doing it and I don't "waste" the oil just tossing it for no reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yep I do prefill the filter on all my cars, on the VT that comes out of the gallon jug. The rest goes in.

I don't do the flush thing cause the 1 gallon fills it perfectly.

I do the flush thing on my Evolution though. Needed no, does it do anything meh probably not, just a tad anal about that car.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It can fill it perfectly yes, but if you aren't draining all of the used oil out you are overtime causing premature wear on your engine and turbo. Do as you wish, but after seeing how much cleaner the oil on my dipstick was after a total drain I'm never going back.

The car holds 4.5 quarts of oil. If you drain it via gravity on ramps or by jacking the front up you drain only 4 quarts. (1 gallon) Adding a gallon of oil back in will still leave .5 quarts of unchanged oil in the engine.

Reactions: RckyMtnBoost

·
Registered
222 Posts
I added another 1/2 quart and it is right at F now. You'll never get all of it out 100% but the more, the merrier. With CERMA, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between old and new because it's practically clear.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The car drains flat not on ramps?? I get no less out of the car then any oil change shop, mechanic, or dealership would.

Please don't scare people into thinking they are doing their car any disservice by not using a pump to pull the oil out because that's plain BS

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah that's why today, while flat on the ground, I jacked up the rear so that it was nose down. Leaving it like that got just about 4.5 quarts out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey if it works for you go right ahead like I said. The fact is, having changed my own oil on ramps for two years I never got more than four quarts out at a time. The other day I put a hand pump on it and got another half a quart out. The owners manual says these cars take 4.5 quarts.

I'm not trying to fear monger, I'm trying to inform people of my findings. You can always choose not to listen, I'm not offended.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I hear ya man. People can do what they wish but I will either use the siphon or continue to jack the rear up. This basically works the same way by causing the oil pan to tilt forward with the front of the car. The rear wheels were about 8 inches off the ground. It definitely got more out because it was done draining flat, before I did this. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did the first oil change on my 2013 Turbo Veloster. I pulled the plug and filter and let sit 45 minutes to drain. I put a new filter on and added 4.8 quarts per the manual. It states 4.8 quarts for the Turbo GDI and 3.8 for the GDI. When I checked the dipstick, it was measuring about a half inch over the full mark. I was a little concerned because I only drained out just under 4 quarts to begin with. Was I burning oil? Or does this car really only take 4 quarts?

I drained 28 ounces out from a plug drop and now the dipstick measures properly. I was concerned maybe there was a second oil reservoir. I called the Hyundai dealership and they assured me there is only one drain plug. Any body else having this issue?
The listed oil volume is for a dry engine, in the case of the turbo there is a volume of oil effectively stuck in the lines for lubricating the turbo bearing and oil pumps typically set wet. Any time I am responsible for a new engine I’ll do an initial oil change then run it for a couple hour and change the oil again to flush crap out. The second oil change will tell you a lot, it’s easier to see debris. Trust the dipstick on cars but never equipment.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,233 Posts
Yes indeed

81 - 90 of 90 Posts