Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P0234 - Turbocharger/Supercharger 'A' Overboost Condition

3000 miles and I got a CEL OBDII code P0234.

Dealer tried replacing two sensors (I assume it was the pressure sensor and knock sensor), but that didn't solve the problem.
They keep asking me if I have done some mods to cause the over-boost, but I haven't.

Do you guys think this is a faulty turbo unit?

(I posted this on the 'other' forum as well, as I am looking for any feedback)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Interesting...a couple others were getting over boost conditions, but they're modded up and down. You're plain stock?

·
Registered
353 Posts
My guess is it probably went into limp mode actually...

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Mine would over boost to 22psi and then the wate gate would dump then back up to 22 again, then I'd get a P0299 low boost. But for those few seconds before the WG would open, it had crazy power :crazy:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no mods. everything's stock. and only 3000 miles. hi-way driving.

first, it lacked power, as the turbo seems to have stopped working - rpm rising, speed was the same.
they tried to replace one sensor, and let me drive it - this time the car was jerking when accelerating as the computer thinks there is turbo (due to the fix), but the turbo was still not working.
then they replaced another sensor - still no go.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure if this will help. But literally just had the same problem. After 2 days at the dealership, having them blame everything from my mods to the ECU, turns out it was simply that the clasps holding the FMIC piping broke somehow. Should have just looked myself.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got an update from the dealer, and they say they are replacing the whole Turbo unit.
I'm not sure what to feel about it. :|

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would say feel thankful for a warranty and hopeful they don't mess anything up in the process

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I just got an update from the dealer, and they say they are replacing the whole Turbo unit.
I'm not sure what to feel about it. :|
Why the hell would they tear apart your car just for a CEL??? Man I hope they know what they are doing. Can you get a second look before they start to do the work? Like take it to another dealer for a second thought?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would say feel thankful for a warranty and hopeful they don't mess anything up in the process
Yeah, I guess. I won't be messing with the 10 year powertrain warranty with just 3000 miles in. Maybe after 5 years. :D

Why the hell would they tear apart your car just for a CEL??? Man I hope they know what they are doing. Can you get a second look before they start to do the work? Like take it to another dealer for a second thought?
The CEL code says it was a turbo over boost issue, so they checked it. Then they ordered a replacement sensor as it is mostly the cause of the error. When they replaced it, it was still there - and actually made it worse a bit - so they ordered another replacement for another sensor. When they tried to replace that too, problem was still not solved.

Yes, I agree that they do not really know what they were doing, which is why they have to call a "Hyundai service support", which I was told was the expert in things that dealer's service department's "first aid" couldn't repair. I guess right now, they were advised to replace the Turbo. Their process sounds plausible though. I just looks like Hyundai doesn't train every mechanic to the 'expert' level.

Yes, this was frustrating but at least, they get the parts fast, unlike some dealerships I know - I guess this is their only consolation. If this issue persists or does happen again, then I would begin to think that I got a Lemon. o_O

·
Registered
353 Posts
On the bright side though: shiny new turbo?

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
hmm. very odd. send me the old turbo? HAHA.. i know you can't.

I would think that this is NOT the fault of the actual turbo though at all but what do i know.

Sounds like something with an issue with pressure leak or the wastegate activation.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would also think wastegate, but maybe to change it, you have to have the whole assembly. god to bad I am sure they need the original unit. that would be so perfect. ask for pics or something lol.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the bright side though: shiny new turbo?
...but my old turbo is still shiny!

with a new break in period on the turbo. no boosty for you for a while.
i never thought about that. in that case,,, d'oh!

hmm. very odd. send me the old turbo? HAHA.. i know you can't.

I would think that this is NOT the fault of the actual turbo though at all but what do i know.

Sounds like something with an issue with pressure leak or the wastegate activation.

They said they will have it done by tomorrow, so I might be able to get my car back tomorrow.
I do not see why they would need keep the old Turbo is it was in fact defective or broken. I'll try to ask for it.

Or you can try to ask them if they would give it to you. LOL! It's at Suburban Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
This just happened to me exactly

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
This just happened to me exactly
With that P0234 first thing I would do is change out the waste gate solenoid or better known as the electronic boost control solenoid. I just did a write up on what it did for me. I definitely had a bad one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts