Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, a few questions about the auto VT's. Here is my list:

1.) What other vehicles contain the same AUTO transmission?

2.) Auto VT owners ranging between 200-230 HP and/or 220-250 TQ (or more) are you guys having any transmission issues so far?

3.) Does anyone know about how much horsepower the AUTO VT will hold up to?

4.) If there were AUTO transmission issues, what would be the first thing to break (In general) ?

5.) What upgrades can you do to a AUTO transmission?

This thread should be answered over time of course as we, or at least I think, do not know what the AUTO transmission will hold up to?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The auto transmission on the VT actually has an interesting back story - which I will paraphrase below.

The NAV Veloster came with a brand new DCT - Dual Clutch Transmission - that was supposed to be for the VT. Hyundai ran in to problems with it when testing it with the VT. Supposedly that was the reason for the delay of the VT's launch. Hyundai really wanted to offer that transmission on the VT - but couldn't.

The AT on the VT is essentially the same transmission from the 1.8 and 2.0 liter engines that are offered on the other Gamma platform cars. It has been reworked to better suit the VT with different gear ratios and improved sport performance. It's a good transmission that has been proven in millions of cars.

However, this is its first 200hp implementation. Given that Hyundai spent a lot of time and money to design and test their ATs for the VT I have full confidence in it.

But it is a good question whether or not it can handle 240+ hp. I'm sure it can handle that for the short term. The Sonata's AT is also great and can handle 270hp but it is one size larger. Can it be adapted to the Gamma platform?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The auto transmission was all new for 2012 and was designed for Hyundai's range of turbo diesels. There was never any intention to fit the DCT to the VT. Prior they had a four speed for the diesels which wasn't much good. Hyundai specify sealed for life but I recommend fluid changes every 60, 000km.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
my only issue with the A/T was the damn thing will upshift on it's own when you are using the paddles or the sequential. I want to be able to shift at optimal timing with paddles, not have the car do it for me. Defeats the purpose of paddles and the sequential style shifting. After I test drove the A/T and it auto up shifting on me, I was like definitely manual.... ALTHOUGH the A/T's shifting in the the VT is very smooth! I wish cars in this price range would get something like the GTR and the exotic cars, where paddles is it. You have to shift using paddles.... not manual, not clutch etc... but not yet.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
my only issue with the A/T was the damn thing will upshift on it's own when you are using the paddles or the sequential. I want to be able to shift at optimal timing with paddles, not have the car do it for me. Defeats the purpose of paddles and the sequential style shifting. After I test drove the A/T and it auto up shifting on me, I was like definitely manual.... ALTHOUGH the A/T's shifting in the the VT is very smooth! I wish cars in this price range would get something like the GTR and the exotic cars, where paddles is it. You have to shift using paddles.... not manual, not clutch etc... but not yet.
Doesn't upshift for me... It does downshift for me though

·
Registered
497 Posts
my only issue with the A/T was the damn thing will upshift on it's own when you are using the paddles or the sequential.
When I move the lever over to 'S', and start shifting with the paddles, mine has never upshifted for me. If I come to a stop without downshifting, it will downshift to first for me, but it has never upshifted by itself.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
yes it upshifts on it's own. slightly before redline. many other cars would just hit the rev limiter still forcing you to shift.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
When I move the lever over to 'S', and start shifting with the paddles, mine has never upshifted for me. If I come to a stop without downshifting, it will downshift to first for me, but it has never upshifted by itself.
Yea that's what I mean, in sports mode paddle shifting doesn't upshift for me on its on

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Best part about the AT.. You can drive it like a M/T and it wont let you blow it up.. at least not easily..

Eco mode has low RPM shifts
Drive gives you normal shifts (And you can still paddle shift)
Sport Mode has higher RPm shifts and you can slap shift

I spent like 3 months trying to figure out if I wanted an AT or MT and wen AT just because of its versatility..

Some days I drive it like a full manual.. Its a little odd to shift neutral into sport mode, and there is probably a chance I shouldnt do this, but its never given me a problem, hiccup, or weird noise or feel.
Some days I feel myself needing a dummy clutch..

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Alright guys, a few questions about the auto VT's. Here is my list:

1.) What other vehicles contain the same AUTO transmission? Google: A6MF2 paddle shifted 6 speed automatic transmission

2.) Auto VT owners ranging between 200-230 HP and/or 220-250 TQ (or more) are you guys having any transmission issues so far? Nope

3.) Does anyone know about how much horsepower the AUTO VT will hold up to? Nope

4.) If there were AUTO transmission issues, what would be the first thing to break (In general) ? Theres a ton of parts in an A/T trans...no telling

5.) What upgrades can you do to a AUTO transmission? None yet...you can run a synthetic like Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle), but its NOT an approved Hyundai factory warranty compliant replacement fluid

This thread should be answered over time of course as we, or at least I think, do not know what the AUTO transmission will hold up to?
Its holding 290 + torque to the wheels now...no issues, I plan on doing water/meth injection so that number will go up even more soon.

·
Registered
945 Posts
the AT does indeed shift very smoothly i was uber impressed, even smooth at shifting at high RPMs. when i test drove the dart, it shifted harshly at variable RPMs, uber annoying and not comfortable for my wife.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My plan is 300whp and around 380 torque, may have to get a Manual.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
1. Pretty much every Hyundai and Kia starting from the refreshed Tucson (2010).
2. My VT is 201HP. No, i do not have problems.
3-5. No idea. Interested in these as well.

Other issues:
For some reason, When you put it to "sports mode", It doesn't shift to manual immediately. You have to change gear before you go manual. This is a software issue I find stupid. All other vehicles that I have driven which has a Sport mode (even other Hyundais) does not have this issue. It shifts to the current gear in manual when Sport mode is selected.

There are two types of shifting:

1. Sport Mode. You use the stick, put it in sport mode, and you are in manual. The only way to get out of this is to put it back to auto mode. You can use either the stick (up/down) or the paddle shifters.

2. Instantaneous. You use the paddle shifters. I am always in full auto, but one flick from the shifters and I change gears manually. after a while, it goes full auto again. This is useful because I like to drive auto, but there are times that i just like to downshift (like when passing) or up-shift (when i think the computer is wasting gas).

I love the instantaneous because it is instantaneous.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Maybe I just don't understand. I don't understand why it is such a problem that the A/T shifts at or near redline. It's not like you can bounce the needle off the rev limiter in the manual either. When I initially test drove a VT I tried to bounce the needle and the car has a fuel cut-off to prevent it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Is the AT going to be slower stock, should be. Will you have more control with a manual, yes. Will you get better MPG with a manual. yes.
Personally I wanted an auto because it a commuter car for me ( i95 traffic towards D.C. in a stick shift sucks) plus I like the extra features that come with the auto.
Car and driver reported better quarter mile and 0-60 times in the AT but that's probably driver error IMO.
My Monte carlo SS has a crate engine paired with a 400 turbo tranny with a shift kit and torque converter with a hi stall package. Its bad ass and I wouldn't want a manual version of it because you couldnt beat the shifts of a properly tuned AT If you wanted too. Look at the Buick Grand National V6 turbos of the mid 80s they all had AT and that car is a legend on the track. Off the line you couldnt touch the dash if your life depended on it because of the torque. They both have their pros and cons and only time will tell if the Hyundai AT on the VT is worth a damn. Somebody will build a 300 plus HP AT and then we will see what needs to be adjusted or redone.
2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Manual/Auto Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Maybe I just don't understand. I don't understand why it is such a problem that the A/T shifts at or near redline. It's not like you can bounce the needle off the rev limiter in the manual either. When I initially test drove a VT I tried to bounce the needle and the car has a fuel cut-off to prevent it.
Because this is A/T. There are MANY people who will buy an A/T because they don't know how to drive stick. Some might accidentally put it to manual mode and be left with no idea why they're stuck with high RPM and low speed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My plan is 300whp and around 380 torque, may have to get a Manual.
That goal is a bit .. extreme. You'd have better luck hitting those numbers with an MT over an AT. But even so.. That's extreme. I think the highest dyno Ive seen on a VT ( which was MT ) was 268 whp. Most people with FULL bolt on's are capping around 250 - 255whp. To get another 50 on top of that.. and that rediculous Tq number. You'd need a turbo upgrade.. or an unsafe blast of NOS... LOL

I think a more realistic goal for any VT would be 275 whp and 300 tq.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts