Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing errands when I got a message to call BluLink. Seems my VT is telling them there's a problem with the power steering and tire sensor.
There was no error code I can see on the console though.
On the way home, the car shuddered, like the wheel was gonna fall off, then was running normally again.
When I got home, I discovered GREEN fluid on the garage floor... coolant or tranny maybe?
It's gonna be towed back to the dealer for service.

Any ideas what could be wrong with it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stealership says they cant find anything wrong with it, except "oil overspill" all over. I would think finding oil where it's not supposed to be a major concern.
They kinda blew off the green fluid found on the garage floor, and said the coolant system was fine.

I need pointers from you car guys on what could be wrong so I have something to say for the dealership before I bring the car home...

·
Registered
84 Posts
check the coolant over flow tank... it should be about half full. Check the oil level on the dip stick. If you did blow oil out all over the engine compartment it probably got on your belt's... did you hear then squell at all? The oil fill cap could have been loose maybe? But if you had green fluid on the floor... engine coolant or windshield washer fluid are the only 2 fluids in the car that could be green, If I re-call correctly? Did you happen to touch the fluid at all? Did it have a oilly texture? Did you smell it to see if it had a sweat smell? You didnt just happen to wash your car at a car wash and use alot of soap on the front grill? I did that a week ago and later that day I found some green fluid sitting in some spots around my air box... but then I rememberd that the soap at the car wash was green. Other than that... I have no idea what it could be? If you blew a hose or a head gasket or cracked your block or the head... and the dealership cant figure it out... then for one I wouldn't have them work on it anyways... but you could start the car up before you leave and let it warm up ( maybe 10 minutes or more) then check to see if you see any leaks before you leave. If you have another Hyundai dealership close by... you might want to take it their.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the very helpful tips.

Green stuff was not oily, watery and detergent-smelling, so quite possibly washer fluid.

What gets me is the BlueLink system gave me the warnings (no error codes thrown whatsoever) about power steering, and the dealership says the car has no power steering...

There was a moment while driving when the car "shuddered" and lost some power (closest i can describe is how it sounds/feels when you run over reflectors on the highway), but after restarting the car, I was able to drive the 6 miles home ok. Could that have been the car's version of a "limp mode"?

·
Registered
84 Posts
If the car goes into ''limp mode'' you should get a CEL light on the dash for sure. How long have you had this car? How many miles are on it? Have you had any other issues in the past? The car has power steering also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the car goes into ''limp mode'' you should get a CEL light on the dash for sure. How long have you had this car? How many miles are on it? Have you had any other issues in the past? The car has power steering also.
2 months, 2300 miles, brake problem in the past (I made a thread about that here too)...

So the service guy had no idea what he's talking about when he said the car had no power steering?

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive had mt VT for almost 2 weeks now and noticed a build up of al of of condensation inside the front head lights (both). called the dealer and they said there might be a bolt loose, bringing it in tomorrow

anyone else had this problem?

besides that i LOVE the car, even after having my roommates '12 stage 2 GTI for a week.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
power steering has its own dash light it glows red "EPS" if that is on or goes on then you will have an issue .. as for what happened... ..no idea.
Thanks for the very helpful tips.

Green stuff was not oily, watery and detergent-smelling, so quite possibly washer fluid.

What gets me is the BlueLink system gave me the warnings (no error codes thrown whatsoever) about power steering, and the dealership says the car has no power steering...

There was a moment while driving when the car "shuddered" and lost some power (closest i can describe is how it sounds/feels when you run over reflectors on the highway), but after restarting the car, I was able to drive the 6 miles home ok. Could that have been the car's version of a "limp mode"?

·
Registered
63 Posts
ive had mt VT for almost 2 weeks now and noticed a build up of al of of condensation inside the front head lights (both). called the dealer and they said there might be a bolt loose, bringing it in tomorrow.
The first couple of days I had mine I had a little condensation in the headlights. It was extremely rainy the week I got my car. After the weather dried up it went away. I've seen a bit of condensation a couple of other times. I'm thinking the headlight assemblies are probably not sealed. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to the stealership, the Blulink system just got carried away. Everything seems ok now (fingers crossed)...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
dont think they are sealed. looks like there are holes in them in some spots ..
The first couple of days I had mine I had a little condensation in the headlights. It was extremely rainy the week I got my car. After the weather dried up it went away. I've seen a bit of condensation a couple of other times. I'm thinking the headlight assemblies are probably not sealed. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A couple things...

This could all be a coincidence and normal. Not real likely but not out of the question.

It isn't unheard of for a new car to have a little too much coolant or an air pocket in the cooling system and have the overflow puke up a little coolant after several hot cycles.

It is not anywhere near normal for a new car to have significant drivetrain vibrations. It is even less normal for these vibrations to just go away. A bad bearing or halfshaft quickly leads to SMS (Self Machining Syndrome) and will fail quickly. If I had to guess it would be the wheel balancing lead weights on the inside of the rim breaking loose. On my car the piece of lead is pretty long, it may have come loose and slapped around before dislodging.

Remember that whatever the dealer mechanic enters in to that computer will become primary evidence for a warranty claim. You have every right to review and discuss what the dealer enters and to take your own photographs for your records. Actively participating in your VT's service record will let your dealer know that you are intending to enforce the warranty.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
According to the stealership, the Blulink system just got carried away. Everything seems ok now (fingers crossed)...
....seriously....
With an answer like that I would be driving my foot AND my car up their ass..

Whatever they tell you.. get it in writing, and if they actually do write down that the bluelink system got carried away and that there is no power steering, send that shxt to corporate ASAP.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good advice from y'all.
I will document everything. I never really got a satisfactory answer about the BlueLink issue... I don't even think the service center and BlueLink communicate with each other.
I will drive the car harder than usual for a few weeks to see if something happens...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
There are many Hyundai dealerships. It doesn't matter which one you go to. They all get paid to do warranty work. If you don't like the one you are going to then just go to another one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts