Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
all drivers, cars and conditions are different.. you will never see 10 reviews with the same 0-60 time.. Even the different models will be different (Ultimate vs. base) the FR-S/BRZ isn't a comparison to me as it gets crap mpg in M/T and wouldn't fit anything I needed in it.. not to mention the lack of tech..

I'll take the 'less' fun any day vs. a bare bones car with no backseat (not usable) or cargo space..

Reactions: pandaVT

·
Registered
44 Posts
As the cooler in "Roadhouse" said . Opinions vary...... NO offense man but the BRZ no tech and crap mpg? I don't think so. While I LOVE the VT what it is going for at the dealership puts it near BRZ cost so comparison is legit. mpg BRZ 25/34 ,far superious suspension/handling to VT. Voice activated GPS is standard. Surely a more buildable platform for serious performance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as the tech goes, you probably have a case, but he said M/T mpg, which is 22/30 versus 26/38 in the VT. It also requires 91 octane, so there's definitely a HUGE difference in that regard.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interestingly Subaru website says voice activated GPS standard on all BRZ's, while MT review says optional. Also lists mpg 25/34, MT 25/30. Have you seen one in person. The are smoking hot! LOL....... No doubt VT is by far hottest LOOKING,sporty LOOKING 38mpg vehicle on the market.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
4-$6k more about another $400-$800 more for gas per year and not to mention yearly taxes "state specific" and slower depreciation on the FRS. Also what its going to do to your wallet when you put an insurance policy on it . I would say the veloster is the best value hands down. Plus boost just makes your sack tickle.....But if your the kinda person that doesn't care about money or is well off.....get the FRS/BRZ.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey man, I've had my VT now for about 2 weeks. Lot's of power but worst thing about VT is the noisey rear suspension when driving over rough roads. I once had a Volvo that was like that. Glad to get rid of it. I'd like all perspective drivers to try the VT on rough roads before buying. U might not like what u hear!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
4-$6k more about another $400-$800 more for gas per year and not to mention yearly taxes "state specific" and slower depreciation on the FRS. Also what its going to do to your wallet when you put an insurance policy on it . I would say the veloster is the best value hands down. Plus boost just makes your sack tickle.....But if your the kinda person that doesn't care about money or is well off.....get the FRS/BRZ.
DON"T get me wrong there is alot to like about the VT, am seriously considering one. Primarily thats is sporty, roomy and gets outstanding mileage.. But again my point is for what dealers are getting for them I am seriuosly considering other vehicles such as the BRZ. If gas mileage is your priority. Hands down VT in a class by itself for a manual if you can get near sticker. But i think mileage is alot closer than you think. Again Subaru site says 25/34 for manual, don't know anyone yet who has seen higher than 31 for VT yet. BUT if serious upgrades are in your future BRZ more than likely the car to consider. VT will need serious fundage into the suspension and I'm sure the Hyundai block isn't ready for much of a turbo upgrade, but I'll bet you BRZ is ... Yearly taxes? Hmm not sure what that means. IN NY you are taxed one time on your car. I would imagine insurance is comparable as well. 200hp turbo car vs 200hp non-turbo car... Yes turbo sound is cool. Ive owned a few cars including 3 MR2 turbos and a WRX. My Mr2s were all upgraded with my last having 335hp to the wheels.. Wrx was upgraded to about 315hp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Again Subaru site says 25/34 for manual
What Subaru site are you looking at? When I go here, it says:

Fuel economy**, manual transmission (city/highway): 22/30 mpg

Fuel economy**, automatic transmission (city/highway): 25/34 mpg

Fuel requirement: Premium unleaded gasoline (91 octane). Recommended: 93 octane.

Not trying to start a fight or anything. I mean, if I were choosing my car just for the fun/performance factor I'm sure I'd be looking at a BRZ or Gen. Coupe. But if fuel economy is important to someone, they should be aware that there's a pretty big dip from the VT down to the BRZ.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok you got it exactly but HUGE difference in economy? I won't argue with you economy is your priority the VT is for you. Performance is another thing............ performance upgrade down the road ...... another thing..........

·
Registered
287 Posts
hey man, I've had my VT now for about 2 weeks. Lot's of power but worst thing about VT is the noisey rear suspension when driving over rough roads. I once had a Volvo that was like that. Glad to get rid of it. I'd like all perspective drivers to try the VT on rough roads before buying. U might not like what u hear!!!
Louder exhaust will fix hat right up :smile:

·
Registered
28 Posts
...but HUGE difference in economy?
Well, at the end of the day it's going to depend on how the person drives and what numbers they actually get. But since the VT hasn't been out very long, I figure the EPA estimates are the best we can do for now. With those, the VT has an 18% increase in city economy and a 26% increase on the highway. When you also factor that 91-octane gas usually costs a good 15 cents more per gallon than 87-octane it starts getting pretty significant. And if you're driving the car a good bit, you could probably call it huge (I was imagining that someone seriously concerned with fuel economy would be driving the car a lot - yeah I guess they could also just be an environmentalist or something but whatever).

I'm not trying to argue that one car is wholly better than the other; like you said performance and performance upgrades would be a different story. But still, I can only afford to keep one car at this point and as much as I'd like to maximize fun, a lack of utility will probably bite me in the ass later down the road, so it's the VT for me.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
compared to the VT, the BRZ/FR-S hardly has any tech, especially standard...

Buying a M/T VT over a M/T BRZ/FR-S will save you around 500$ a year in gas with the difference in premium price, using the 'combined mpg of both...

Not to mention, the insurance on a VT will be a bit less than the FR-S.. runs to get quote...

100$ more per year to insure me on a FR-S than my VTurbo...

Between gas and insurance, you are looking at paying probably 600$+ a year for the FR-S.. 50$ a month is a significant difference.. some would consider it HUGE.. I have better things to spend 600$ a year on than gas and insurance.

Regarding the tech.... Does the FR-S/BRZ have any of the features that BlueLink has?............ I briefly looked and came up with a NO..

you can get a M/T VT base for <23k$.. the BRZ's MT starting price is almost 800$ more than I paid for my Ultimate M/T VT..

M/T BRZ base price = 26,250
M/T VT base price = 22,750

3500$ difference in price, then tack on 600$ a year for the gas + insurance.. Over 5 years, without interest you are looking at 6500$ difference..

not to mention the fact it can only realistically hold two people and has ziltch for cargo space..

For the price, I would take a 2.0T Rspec Gcoupe any day of the week. 274hp, turbo, rear seats that work, yes please..

If your priority is gas mileage, the VT is for you.
If you need cargo space, the VT is for you.
If you need more than two people to sit in it, the VT is for you.
If you like tech features like BlueLink, Pano roof (BRZ/FR-s not even option), the VT is for you.
If you have a budget and want the best bang for your buck, the VT is for you..

If you want a sports car that is RWD and badass, get the Gcoupe. :p You can get an R-spec for less than a base model BRZ

The BR-Z/FR-S is a pretty awesome car but I think it is over priced for what it is.. A 250hp, turbo version of the same car that had better economy and they have a winner..

Regarding the suspension noise over bumps, I guess that is something I don't encounter much and the suspension noise under certain situations would definitely not steer me away from a vehicle. It is because of the torsion rear setup. any solid axle RWD system also experience similar noises.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great write up and points. No one is selling VT's for MSRP....... on paper sure it is alot cheaper, but not what they are going for. IF you read my post was simply stating.... for what they are going for they are in same class and comparisons are fair. You are getting a HOT looking economical car period....... ANd don't get me wrong I like the VT and i think a manual at sticker without 2500 addon package is a great deal . for again a hot looking economical car................. AGAIN to BUILD on down the road BRZ superior...... You get what you pay for certainly..... READ any mags write up on the cars........ from a performance standpoint writers are druling over the BRZ, not the latter...... Why Hyundai would add 60hp to base car and do NOTHING with the suspension is ludicrous............. It is obvious alot of people on here have little experience with new vehicles or turbo vehicles, not knocking at all just making a point.., I understand the enthusiasm and think thats great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
AND for the record..... ease of access is obvious, but dimension wise BRZ has 2 inches less leg room and 3 inches less shoulder room in back seat then Velositer............ negligible passenger wise........................

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
i got mine for MSRP and a bunch of other people got theirs for MSRP.. and since not many have even been sold yet in the states, that means MOST are being bought FOR MSRP..

I have heard of much higher markups on the FR-S/BRZ.. I still have yet to hear of anyone paying over MSRP on a VT..

same class? how so?

one is RWD sports coupe and the other is not far from a 4 door and is a FWD hatch.. The only thing that is the same is that they are both around the same price and they both have ~200hp and came out around the same time..

of course the build potential of a RWD coupe intended for tuners is going to be better, LOL. which is why I think it is absolutely silly to compare a RWD small coupe to a FWD hatch made to sit 4 easily..

Misewell just compare the BRZ to the Nissan Juke and the Mazda CX-7 also..

The closest car that compares to the BRZ/FR-S right now in my opinion is the GCoupe which kicks the BRZ's ass.. in my opinion of course... same price or cheaper, MUCH more power, more space

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
AND for the record..... ease of access is obvious, but dimension wise BRZ has 2 inches less leg room and 3 inches less shoulder room in back seat then Velositer............ negligible passenger wise........................
2 inches of legroom and 3 inches of shoulder room is negligible? haha!! have you tried sitting in the back of a V vs. sitting in the back of a BRZ? I could hardly get in the back of the BRZ and sit down with the front seat in position.. In the V it is pretty comfortable for the size of the car..

definitely not where I want to be sitting as a passenger....

of course they will be drooling over a purpose built RWD coupe over the VTurbo.. Even if the Vturbo had more power and better suspension, performance enthusiasts without kids would be going for the RWD coupe..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just my 2 cents... I drove both the VT auto and frs auto... Off the line acceleration, VT wins.. I had high hopes for the frs before I drove it, handles nice but such a dog off the line.. And my kids had to sit indian style in the back seat.. No leg room at all( should be a 2 seater with more storage space) The VT has plenty of leg room and some to spare...
Havent driven MT on either car, so I cant compare acceleration.. But if you are not buying MT, do not get the FRS/BRZ.. Even the auto scion tc is faster off the line than the frs auto..

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
how old are your kids, just curious.. if kids have to pretty much sit indian style (which isn't quite safe) then that says it all (regarding rear seat) and how 2" of legroom matters

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.