Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Veloster Turbo Ultimate
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m getting ready for my first track day and I’ve ordered some ATE 200 DOT4 fluid. That’s all a friend suggested to me but reading the forum I see some upgrade the pads/lines beforehand.
Am I good in my second gen turbo with stock pads/lines or not?
If I should replace pads/lines beforehand, what would be the best options?
-Rick

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depends somewhat on the track. I have read where some guys get away with stock pads. Stock might work on a flowing track. At the track I started at running stock pads was hopeless and ended my first day early. My first track car had no real performance pads available so I called Porterfield and they custom made a set, no further problems.On my second car I used Hawk HP Plus. Properly installed and bedded in they are great, also work very well on the street with the exception of excessive dust. I ran braided lines on both cars. Also have HP Plus and braided lines on my Mazda 3 street car and plan to do the same to the Veloster and Miata this winter. Considering the cost of track days, travel time and other prep expenses I would not risk ending my day because of burning brakes. On a track which requires hard braking you will be surprised at how much heat is generated. Follow the bedding in procedure carefully. Another thing to consider is that the Veloster has enough power that you will be carrying more speed at your brake marker than many of the other stock class cars. We think of the pads gripping the rotor producing friction to slow the car, that is true to a point, but the job of the brakes at the most basic level is to convert kinetic energy to heat energy. All that excess speed must be converted to heat, the brakes take a beating. Back to that first car and track day, when I backed into the garage with smoking brakes the Honda to my right also had smoking brakes and the WRX behind me was up on stands with brake issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,264 Posts
to piggyback off what mazda3 said...

as a semi-experienced driver at a few courses, the stock brakes will work fine for a beginner. good choice on the fluid, i run that myself.

you should focus on making sure you're BEING SAFE, driving the track properly and consistently before stepping up the speed. hopefully you will have a good instructor, unless you're doing TNIA :)

after a few track days you'll probably need to look at a few things anyways, porterfield were awesome on track for me but terrible for daily driving. hawk hp plus were decent but not alot of bite at the track after awhile. currently running ebc redstuff which have been fantastic for autocross but not able to test them out on track until next month.

Reactions: sonic_velo.turbo
1 - 3 of 3 Posts