Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just dropped a 2016 engine with 50k miles in my 2013 VT and it fit perfectly runs and drives however I have a P0243 code and I’d like to get some more insight on what I should be checking/looking for. There’s people on here with extensive knowledge that I trust. Here’s what’s happening. The check engine light doesn’t go away at all. I choose not to reset it until I think I’ve replaced whatever is faulty. When I start the car cold, the rpms spike way higher than normal at or above 4.5k rpms but the previous 13 engine never cold start that high in rpm’s. The cold start after a second or two will go back to normal cold start rpms and then eventually warm up and idle just fine. There’s is a massively noticeable drop in power/acceleration. The pedal almost feels dead when I press it down more than a quarter or half way to the metal in every gear even park and neutral. If I’m in normal drive mode I try to WOT from just cruising it won’t downshift itself and accelerate it just stays the same like constantly cruising or slower. Car is just not aggressive at all. When I’m driving after around 3k rpms the turbo just feels like it’s not even there. The car will run and drive but it’s massively slower than any car I’ve ever owned to this point. Don’t really like the idea of replacing the whole turbo if it’s just a bad solenoid and possibly throwing a whole turbo away but I do have a extra turbo that gave me no problems on hand from my previous engine.
Product Azure Font Rectangle Screenshot

· Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,486 Posts
I'd start with checking over the solenoid connections and wiring. If all looks good and making good connection I'd replace the solenoids with oem units. Also be sure to use proper oil, filter, and 3k mile OCI.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trdtoy thank you for the much needed advice I’ll definitely check over the wires, connector, and solenoid itself when I eventually go back under the hood. If it’s not the solenoid or wiring or connector then should I prepare for a turbo swap? I may have heard some rattle from the wastegate area.

· Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
296 Posts
...When I’m driving after around 3k rpms the turbo just feels like it’s not even there. The car will run and drive but it’s massively slower than any car I’ve ever owned to this point...
I had this same issue with my veloster. I ended up replacing the wastegate solenoid and this issue disappeared. I'd suspect that it's either the vacuum and metering hoses that are the culprit or the solenoid itself. Mine would do this when I got on it hard, the turbo would just die completely. afterwards it was like the car had zero drive, I ended up having to shift into 6th just to get some low end torque. Hope this helps

Reactions: thesteadcollective
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.