Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 VT1 DCT

Intro:
So I've been talking to @trdtoy from Qwik Tyme about my upgrade path for the car and he's been schooling me on a lot and I super appreciate all of the knowledge! He pieced together this water/meth kit for me and the results are immaculate. The kit straight from AEM as is, not well optimized for this platform. He put together a complete kit for me around that, one that is perfectly optimized for the car!

As it relates to my car, you can see my mods in the signature. I'm on the OEM intercooler. The only thing left to do is upgrade the downpipe, intercooler (will explain at the end)... then build out the engine :D. I got the car in January when boost season was in full swing down here in Florida. Now, I knew my time was limited and summer would suck the fun out of my turbo. So, either get an intercooler and get rid of the cold and hot pipe I JUST BOUGHT... or meth.

Science: In case you're worried about how this trickery works. In order to lower temps, we're going to use phase change. Solid to liquid, liquid to gas... science. It's like how when you sweat. Sweat evaporates off of your skin, cooling you in the process. Same process but in the engine. So there are 3 fluids you can use to accomplish this.
  • Distilled water: So it's not going to drop temps the most. But you will still see temps below ambient! Plus it's just distilled water... cost like 2 dollars.
  • Methanol: This is the magic juice. Not only is it going to pull the most heat out of the engine, it's extra fuel in the combustion chamber that's going to add a bit off power. Downsides, probably more expensive and you're going to have to find a source that sells M1 Methanol near you. It's a volatile compound so it's flammable (it burns clear, make sure those hoses are secure). Which also means if you're trying to get it shipped it's a hazmat ship which is gonna cost $$$$ (source locally)
  • Everything in between: Any mixture of the two fluids above. Best of both worlds. -30 windshield washer fluid is about 35/65. There are things you can do to get closer to 50/50. This mixture is safer than pure methanol. There are ways to be cost efficient but it's not that bad. I spend about 8$ a tank for the washer fluid and additives to get to 50/50
There's TONS of other benefits for this setup, but you can read the forums. Great info on the subject.

Before:
Ambient Temps = 90 | Intake Air Temp = 120
So my tune happened to be a little too aggressive for my setup but I never noticed any issues when it was 70 outside and boost season. Now that it's almost always 90 and 100% humidity I was having issues with hitting limiters and having power cut out. So for a short while I was running E30 to bandage the issue. Then I just babied the car for a few weeks because I knew I was getting this kit. But even without the issues, being a turbo, the car just feel sluggish compared to winter. Not to mention, if I did a pull or two, the OEM intercooler gets heat soaked and the performance just gets worse as the night goes on. On average, my IAT's were +30 degrees above ambient.

Install:
So I thought I was going to be able to tackle the install myself, seeing as I've done everything under the hood so far. But this required running lines from the trunk to the engine and that was beyond my skill. I took it to a friend's shop and they did the install for me. Couldn't have been happier. It's such a clean install and other than the tank mounted on the driver side trunk, you can't see anything. Pump and filter are in the spare tire area. wires are tucked into the rocker panels and the controller comes out near the OBD port. Meth line goes through one of the grommets in the trunk, tucked in with the brake line under the car, through the solenoid, into the nozzle in my throttle body spacer.

After:
Ambient Temps = 90 | Intake Air Temp = 72
OMG WHATEVER MOD YOU'RE PLANNING NEXT, CANCEL IT (unless you already have an intercooler... even still), GET THIS. Like other than the intake and tune, this is best thing I've done. Now my car thinks it's in winter all the time now. Every pull is hard no matter what. IATs drop after every pull. Never get heat soaked. My only limit is... I've only got a gallon tank in the trunk lol. But I've been driving like 5+ hours for a few day now, pull after pull, so I'm going through alot more fuel and 50/50. So there's two components to talk about with the performance.
  1. Low temps always means I'm never losing power to heat. So the car is always performing at it's best
  2. The methanol part my mixture is pulling a little extra power out of my tune, much like the E30 I was running.
Next:
So I'm not tuning for meth because... it's mostly just a safety measure for me. And I don't want to have to sweat running out of fuel and having to baby it home or flash tunes every time. Earlier I mentioned I still want to get an intercooler. Clearly temps aren't the reason for it now. My goals are around 300-350whp. OEM IC becomes a flow restriction as you approach 300. But If you want to see an example of this in practice, I was sitting at a red light and my IATs got up near 150... literally a few stabs of the throttle and see what happens! :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
OMG WHATEVER MOD YOU'RE PLANNING NEXT, CANCEL IT (unless you already have an intercooler... even still), GET THIS. Like other than the intake and tune, this is best thing I've done. Now my car thinks it's in winter all the time now. Every pull is hard no matter what. IATs drop after every pull. Never get heat soaked. My only limit is... I've only got a gallon tank in the trunk lol. But I've been driving like 5+ hours for a few day now, pull after pull, so I'm going through alot more fuel and 50/50. So there's two components to talk about with the performance.
  1. Low temps always means I'm never losing power to heat. So the car is always performing at it's best
  2. The methanol part my mixture is pulling a little extra power out of my tune, much like the E30 I was running.
1. Convince me... more. lol. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I've been kicking around the idea of trying meth for a little while but I'm not completely convinced it will be for me. In my area we get the Florida style 90+ degrees and 100-1,000,000% humidity for about 3 months each year. When it gets like that my car feels like a dog. I just accept that though...

3. You were running e30? Any mods to support that?

4. How long is 1 gallon lasting for you?

·
Super Moderator
3,077 Posts
i went to their facebook i don't see any veloster turbos lol

nevermind, i'm a dumbass and was at the wrong site.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Lephoenix: Read thorough my posts on the topic on this forum if you need further convincing.

Higher iats will make the ecu/tune pull power on top of the lower air density itself already pulling power.

Water/meth helps clean and cool the engine internals.

Amount of fluid used is dependent on many variables but in general the more cooling you want the more fluid that will be used.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lephoenix: Read thorough my posts on the topic on this forum if you need further convincing.

Higher iats will make the ecu/tune pull power on top of the lower air density itself already pulling power.

Water/meth helps clean and cool the engine internals.

Amount of fluid used is dependent on many variables but in general the more cooling you want the more fluid that will be used.
I have. I know it works. That's not exactly what I was hoping to hear about though.
I'm just asking the OP to get as much of his opinion as possible. It's that real world experience and thoughts on how it feels that I am after.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. Convince me... more. lol. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I've been kicking around the idea of trying meth for a little while but I'm not completely convinced it will be for me. In my area we get the Florida style 90+ degrees and 100-1,000,000% humidity for about 3 months each year. When it gets like that my car feels like a dog. I just accept that though...

3. You were running e30? Any mods to support that?

4. How long is 1 gallon lasting for you?
  1. Haha I got you. So the biggest thing is, the car never gets heat soaked if Ive got it on. And I can get 30 below ambient. So my car always drives like it does in winter! The small amount of knock I was seeing in my logs, completely gone. So not only am I not losing any power, I'm getting more power... And the cars doing it safely! The system also does some cleaning.
  2. I wish i could've gotten it all into the engine bay but our bay is tight enough as is. But other than drilling the tank to the left side of the trunk, it's non destructive. I wish I would've installed an arm switch so I could turn it on and off, because in order to limit using fluid when I'm chilling I have to reach down change the minimum so it doesn't come on. Plus it's cooler to hit a switch. I wish I had the controller installed in a way I could see it from the drivers seat, it's facing down in the in that box so I can reach in and turn knobs, but I can't see the numbers so I've had to memorize what the positions feel like. Also can't see the lights on the controller. It will flash when the tank is low, alternatively you can install an led to put wherever so you can see. I didn't because it's not imperative I know if it's full or not. I'm not tuning for it so if it runs out it not a safety issue, and I'll see my temps raise and I'll know lol. Other than that I don't have regrets about installing it.
  3. I wasn't running any mods. Stock fuel system. If your fuel trims get over 25% you'll throw a cel. Noticeably more low end torque. Will shorten the life of your stock fuel systems. But I probably only ran like 8 or so tanks here and there for a 2 months.
  4. Lol I've gone through 2 tanks in 2 days. But that's me driving like a maniac for 5+hours a day. But since I've been chilling. Depending on how early it's set to start spraying I could probably make it last a little longer than my gas tank. But I drive fast, a corvette pulls up next to me? Definitely gonna lose? I'm still sending it lol. I'm also working from home so I have waaaay more time and go for drives out of boredom. If you baby it around town and never really come into boost... You could probably go longer. You can get the 5 gallon tank but I carry stuff in my trunk often so I didn't want to impact that.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
276 Posts
Great review and the more I read and hear reviews about it the more I'm getting convinced about using meth fuel. 👍
Innovation is key to moving to the next level. Thanks @trdtoy . 🙏🏽

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Water is the most cost effective way to go about cooling iats and keeping the internals cooler to help prevent misfires and add some power and help prevent heat soak.

Meth is the least cost effective but will give the most iat drop and add octane to the overall fueling the engine sees. Also best at cleaning the engine parts internally.

A mix is somewhere in the middle depending upon the mix used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts