Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about installing a Weapon-R G5 Twin Mini Racing Muffler on my VT but I am unsure if this is possible without doing a full cat-back. Can I install a muffler on my stock pipes? If so are there any disadvantages?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
What configuration is the muffler? Single in dual out? The exhaust in the VT is "odd"/not conventional. I did a couple of setups today--I deleted the rear muffler and moved a 6" round magnaflow in the resonator spot with a pretty good result...

·
Registered
340 Posts
What configuration is the muffler? Single in dual out? The exhaust in the VT is "odd"/not conventional. I did a couple of setups today--I deleted the rear muffler and moved a 6" round magnaflow in the resonator spot with a pretty good result...
video? and also would this pass inspection in ny?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Would like to see and hear this set up as well.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Would like to see and hear this set up as well.
I'll see if I can get video/pics up tomorrow or Friday---I'm doing the R&D on a couple of different idea's for the track/autocross guy, but plan on having a streetable (this setup) version as well. Once everything is developed/perfected I'll end up as a vendor here and offer them for sale. With the stock resonator and just the muffler delete the exhaust was quite a bit louder than I would have imagined as others have pointed out. Not absurdly loud, but much louder than other turbo cars...I'll post pics here tomorrow and try an work on a quick vid.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Pic of the rear muffler delete pipe---the stock unit is huge/heavy---28lbs. The track pipe we made weighs just 6lbs---it's a single pipe, not a split pipe as the cosmetics don't really matter much to me for the track. We'll end up offering a split pipe with muffler for the street guys. I'd imagine just the muffler delete would be worth 3-5hp and probably another 2-4ftlbs of torque on the dyno depending on the rest of the mods. I'll snap a photo of the front pipe with the muffler later today and try an get a sound clip as well. I think I saw a sound clip on this setup (with a Y pipe) in the muffler delete thread.
DSC03668.jpg DSC03670.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a single in dual out with a 3" x 2 tip size. Do you think this will be compatible with the VT? If so will I need to delete it like you did?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
So if I understand you correctly the muffler has the two tips welded right to the body? Hold the muffler up to the rear and check the tip spacing for starters---then measure straight back from the bumper to the beam to make sure you've got adequate space (you should if it's a 14" body muffler), then yep you'll remove the stock unit and have a shop buy a 2 1/4" universal 2 bolt flange (slotted holes) and bolt it up/make a pipe from the flange to the new muffler, the bends will be tight, but should be doable. Make sure the pipe clears the beam at full compression (the beam actually doesn't move a bunch right where the exhaust sits...).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ok so here's a couple pics of the current setup---it bolts on at the flange in front and then 2 1/2" aluminized---flexpipe-6" round magnaflow muffler (2.5" and 14" long) then 2 1/2" back to the muffler delete pipe. It's deep/smooth/louder than stock, but quieter than the original factory midpipe with resonator---surprisingly more quiet. Noticeable performance gain almost everywhere through the powerband. I'm going to try a couple more idea's---excited about the 4" 2.5" 18" long magnaflow "muffler" or silencer, I have a feeling that's going to be the perfect performance/loudness/smoothness---oh you can hear the air push back on decel---I didn't tighten the flange as were swapping stuff around still.
. Here's the video with the Iphone---doesn't really do it justice and sounds more harsh than it actually is---I'll try an post a couple more versions as I get further into the development-
DSC03683.jpg DSC03684.jpg DSC03685.jpg

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't like how the bends are on those pipes. It's restricting the exhaust flow when they are like that. Mandrel bends is what needed for custom exhaust.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ok, got the 4" muffler in there and like I thought it really woke everything up---smooth, deep and a bit more throaty at higher rpm's---sounds great! I'm going to put some time on it under different driving conditions and then check HP on the dyno---I'd guess even with the crush bends it'll improve by about 10HP---with mandrel bends I'd bet closer to 11HP, we'll see! DSC03688.jpg

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok, got the 4" muffler in there and like I thought it really woke everything up---smooth, deep and a bit more throaty at higher rpm's---sounds great! I'm going to put some time on it under different driving conditions and then check HP on the dyno---I'd guess even with the crush bends it'll improve by about 10HP---with mandrel bends I'd bet closer to 11HP, we'll see! View attachment 1576
model number please? is it 10426

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
My VT is being used for some catback r&d for a local shop too. Lots of options popping up for exhausts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts