Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Hyundai has already done a LOT of work to make the power to weight ratio on our cars amazing, but I was wondering if anyone else has been thinking about ways to reduce the weight of our cars? I'm not sure where to start, but I know I don't want to go about ripping out my back seats or anything.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
the only options i can recommend that would not turn your car into a turd is a carbon fiber hatch and hood. which i think they already make for the 2012 V. will they fit ... no idea... but im sure there will be some made soon. It will cost a lot and gain you very little.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Take out your spare tire and jack.

Leave your friends at home.

Keep only 1/4 tank of gas in the car.

Get super lightweight rims.

CF hood and hatch.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
the CF hatch and hood for the V WILL fit the VTurbo.. HOWEVER..... yes.. HOWEVER, it looks like they do NOT weight much less than the stock units from what I have read..

Mainly because they are not FULL CF units (which you wouldn't want anyway on a Daily Driven car) The ones that are for sale for the V are made of fiberglass with a cosmetic CF top layer.. They are also made not to flex or anything (like many FULL CF light units will) so they use a lot of resin (which is heavy)

If you get a CF hood and hatch, you will pretty much be spending 1200+$ to lose like 30-40lbs MAX in weight.

You would be much better off removing the AC compressor/condensor or getting lighter seats..

I just responded to a similar thread on ***** and I think this covers a LOT.. It all depends on how much weight you are wanting to lose in the car and how extreme you are willing to take it.. could go as far as lexan windows.. removing extra bolts that aren't important (there are quite a few probably) replacing bolts with lighter weight bolts, removing splash guards, etc. etc. etc.

pretty much no 'CF' hoods out there are 100% Carbon fiber.. They are all FG hoods with a cosmetic CF layer on the top. The price is a lot more for a 100% CF hood. When I had my SRT-4, they had a full CF hood and if i recall it was almost 2000$ vs. the traditional 'CF' hood that was ~500$.

Even with a dry CF hood, it really isn't the best way to shave weight on the car.. There are a TON of little things that add up on weight savings..

Also depends on how far you are willing to go with it.. Do you often have people in the backseats? What do you use the car for? etc...

If you only have a max of two people in the car usually, back seats are obvious..

If you are overweight or could lose some lbs, go ahead and lose 20lbs. it will make you healthier AND help the car :p.

Some things off the top of my head that will help with weight reduction:

-lightweight CAI, remove full stock intake system
-remove muffler and stock resonator, replace resonator with quiet muffler.
-side exit exhaust before the rear torsion bar. (this combined with the above muffler will reduce weight quite a bit, probably 40lbs.. ~18kg)
-remove back seats
-replace front seats with lightweight seats from jegs or summit racing (probably easy 20-30lb drop here )
-remove spare tire kit and foam
-remove crash bar (this will NOT be safe in a front end collision, but will save weight.)
-lightweight forged wheels (can save an easy 8lbs ) per corner, and it is unsprung weight!!)
-remove fog lights (if you have them and their wiring)
-remove the rear speakers and subwoofer (if equipped )
-remove the engine cover
-remove entire HVAC system (if you are crazy, lol)
-remove AC compressor and condensor with line (will save a good chunk of weight and you still have windows and your blower )

Even if you don't go super crazy with everything I listed above, you should be able to free up 100kg quite easily if you are willing to pay to do it. Most of it would be removing stuff to save the weight.. The biggest COST items would be the wheels and the seats.

You can get a decent set of seats 150-450+ per seat depending on how light you want and how high end. Not sure what the stock seats weigh but I would assume it would be easy to drop ~10lbs per seat.

For ~200$ a wheel you can get some forged 17" TSWs which will save you about 8 pounds per wheel (36 total)

Wheels and seats alone could grab you almost 60lbs of weight savings. Combine that with no rear seats and you would probably be around 80lbs or more. ~36kg.

It will all add up..

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
I'm not sure how the tire patch kit works, but maybe they have you jack it up in that process so you can spin the wheel to coat the inside properly with the fix-a-flat goop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I'm talking about, one hell of a list you guys got going! Seems there's a fine line between how far you want to go and how much weight you will actually lose. I was just wondering if there were any parts on our car that are unnecessarily heavy and that could be switched out or removed. Seems as though all of those were already considered by Hyundai though.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
quite a few have been considered by Hyundai already and even other manufacturer's as the race for fuel efficiency continues.

You could drop the tire repair kit and foam but you wont really gain much.. Unless you plan on going more extreme and losing things like speakers, backseats, etc. you probably wont accomplish much in reality.

Removing my muffler (heavy) and entire stock intake system AND dropping the weight of the wheels ~5lb per wheel didn't seem to do much for me in reality.. In theory, I should have felt a difference in handling and acceleration as well as noticed a mpg increase..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Take out your spare tire and jack.

Leave your friends at home.

Keep only 1/4 tank of gas in the car.

Get super lightweight rims.

CF hood and hatch.
well i don't have a spare tire or jack

my friends aren't cool enough to ride in the Infidel

1/4 tank of gas doesn't run far enough from the cops

but i think ill look into the rims, maybe some black ones...

CF, as stated earlier, is very expensive for minimal gains

so i think i'll just go for the hp gains instead

1 - 11 of 11 Posts