Veloster Turbo Forum banner

14941 - 14960 of 14980 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT Ultimate
141 Posts
This just made me think, with the success you have had with wmi, what would IAT's be at with wmi and completely removing the intercooler. Yeah I know that is a weird thought but if you can drop IAT's well below ambient consistently then why even have the intercooler there obstructing flow?
Lol I've thought about this alot. In a drag application, sure. On the street? with a 1 gallon tank... depending on the fluid, you've got about 5 minutes (50/50) of spray @ WOT. You could get a bigger tank but it'll get very expensive quickly. WMI performs better, but IC is cost effective long term.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Lol I've thought about this alot. In a drag application, sure. On the street? with a 1 gallon tank... depending on the fluid, you've got about 5 minutes (50/50) of spray @ WOT. You could get a bigger tank but it'll get very expensive quickly. WMI performs better, but IC is cost effective long term.
Kind of what I had thought. trdtoy I think is hunting for some low 1/4 mile times and has his wmi fine tuned. Deleting the intercooler would be pretty cheap. I just wonder what the result would be.

And 5 minutes at WOT? I spend 30 seconds at WOT total for a long spirited drive and feel like I'm pushing my car hard. 1 gallon would last me weeks. lol

·
Super Moderator
3,656 Posts
i'm usually at WOT for 2/3rds of a lap at the track, lol.... imagine 1 minute of WOT for each 1:30 lap x20 .

but i'm stock :)

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
141 Posts
lol a tank lasts me almost as long as my gas if I'm being chill... I can easily go through a tank in one night though haha

·
Super Moderator
3,656 Posts
i dont have meth tho, lol

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,100 Posts
You can run without an intercooler and run water/methanol only but it requires setting up the kit different, the tune different, and you would have to run a very high octane fuel. The IAT would be higher than if running the intercooler in many cases so you'd have to see if the flow gains and weight loss is worth it. Generally higher boost applications this is not a good route to take. Low boost works much better. I've setup kits on setups like this so I'm familiar with the concept.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
T-bolt clamps.....

Let me know when you blow the pipe off at 28+ psi and it hits the ground! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Anything is better than the spring clamps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thats for sure lol. Definitely an oversight on my part. Should've replaced them when I did the delete. But I replaced it now, so we good.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Never understood why the oem put a spring clamp there but worm gear on the other areas.....

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Worked on a 14 forte koup sx today.

Replaced bov and wga solenoids, bov, coils, tuned, and started installation of the water/methanol injection kit.

Last go round the car wouldn't make more than 10 psi at redline and 13 psi max due to broken/leaking solenoids and BOV diaphragm. After checking that boost was up on the cleaned up oem tune from last time we tried the tune we did last time and it peaks at 21-22 psi and holds 18-19 psi at redline!

Once the water/methanol injection kit install is complete tomorrow we may turn up the wick a little more if the customer wants to and the datalog looks ok. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Finished up the water/methanol injection kit installation on "Koupzilla" today. Made limited pulls in the rain to test it due to poor road conditions. Either spinning from low speeds or risk hydroplaining at higher speeds.

Even with limited testing in bad conditions for water/meth(raining) it did well with ambient in the 73-75°F area. Much better than yesterday without water/meth on the same tune.

He'll be coming back for an intake and hot pipe and datalog under better conditions to adjust the tune. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Impressive, especially considering that's only 18.5 psi! Would be curious to see a log.
Tune mine please. I have $74, a 2 point tie bar brace, and 1 general gmax with 50% tread left.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Finally got my mirror covers I ordered back in March. Looks good :).

One of the clips were broken on shipping. Big thanks to @TooGqForYou for his youtube tutorial! only managed to break one tab getting the OEM covers off.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Impressive, especially considering that's only 18.5 psi! Would be curious to see a log.
Tune mine please. I have $74, a 2 point tie bar brace, and 1 general gmax with 50% tread left.
I mean boost is higher in the mid-range then falls off some near redline. Was 75°F ambient and raining/100% humidity during this pull so the 50% water/meth mix couldn't pull out as much from the IAT'S. Boost spikes to 22 psi area on the shifts. He is coming back for more mods on a better weather day and I'll get a better datalog and put a better tune in the car since the mods will be mostly complete on the car.

He ran a high 13 second FRS 3x yesterday and beat it every time by at least a car at the 1/8 mile point. This was with easy take off full interior 150 lbs audio and another person in the car.

14941 - 14960 of 14980 Posts