Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve done hours and research and still cannot figure out what I should do for a tune. I’ve looked into a jb4 but have seen lots of people say piggy back tunes are trash. I also don’t wanna spend a fortune (1000$+) on a lap3 tune. Is there any tunes anyone can recommend that don’t require me sending my ecu away or spending thousands?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also forgot to add I have 2016 veloster turbo rally edition with a cone filter, and high flow exhaust system. Still stock down pipe.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
you can get it done for under a grand, lol. trdtoy can help you out.

Reactions: waffle3113

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,569 Posts
The most expensive tune I can provide with the oem cats is $400. Highest catless is $500. Cheapest tune is $100. You just need to buy, rent, or borrow the flashing equipment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Speaking of equipment, @trdtoy

Any plans to make use of SXTH's EK1Pro? Any ideas on what it would take for compatibility with QwikTyme tunes? I'm thinking it would be useful for switching between meth tunes as well as an engine monitor.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT Ultimate
308 Posts
With the EK1pro you can only use Sxth tunes currently. I think sxth would like to have it so that other vendors pay them to have access to the platform. But as it stands, just getting the EK1pro costs about 800$ before you even talk about getting tuned. About 300$ more than a cobb accessport and far more exclusive. I feel like it'll take a few years for them to get the price down.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
Speaking of equipment, @trdtoy

Any plans to make use of SXTH's EK1Pro? Any ideas on what it would take for compatibility with QwikTyme tunes? I'm thinking it would be useful for switching between meth tunes as well as an engine monitor.
EK1 Pro is a SXTH only unit.

Have been able to go between tunes and monitor things since 2017 when OBD2 tuning became available for the VT1. Not with one flashy little unit but still.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shrug, I use a JB4 on my Forte GT. Hitting 250+ whp was easy.

I can always make more, my short times are improving (1.97) so until those are inline there isn't any reason to turn it up.

That said this summer I did turn it up to help with the higher DA, still loss about a tenth.

Recently completed Rocky Mountain Race Week. Not one problem. Still using the stock plugs, no bolt-on upgrades only water methanol injection.

Yeah it's trash, trash already.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
Forte GT has a much better oem to piggyback off of than some other cars.

Water/methanol injection can add a good bit of power and protection to a state of tune that may otherwise not be safe.

People's definition of unsafe varies when it comes to ecu vs piggyback.

You can take two cars with the same mods making the same or similar power other than one having a piggyback and the other having a good ecu tune and you will see the difference in the datalog on how safe each one is compared to each other.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Forte GT has a much better oem to piggyback off of than some other cars.

Water/methanol injection can add a good bit of power and protection to a state of tune that may otherwise not be safe.

People's definition of unsafe varies when it comes to ecu vs piggyback.

You can take two cars with the same mods making the same or similar power other than one having a piggyback and the other having a good ecu tune and you will see the difference in the datalog on how safe each one is compared to each other.
Any ideas what the power difference would be between a car tuned for 91 but with meth added on VERSUS a car tuned specifically for 91 WITH meth injection?

I'd like to run meth but I would want a way to either switch between tunes if I ran out of meth or a tune that doesn't need meth to run.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Any ideas what the power difference would be between a car tuned for 91 but with meth added on VERSUS a car tuned specifically for 91 WITH meth injection?

I'd like to run meth but I would want a way to either switch between tunes if I ran out of meth or a tune that doesn't need meth to run.
Depends on other mods and the tune. But probably about a ~20whp difference.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts

It really depends on the mods and the tune in question along with the environmental conditions. Some tunes do not respond well to adding water/meth injection and some do. Also the mods will dictate what gains can be made on a setup tuned specially for water/methanol use only.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I made 227 whp with 91 octane and water methanol injection. Map 2 on the JB4 was 211 whp.

More IAT drop is possible, which I am working on currently so more power can be made with WMI.

Define "tuned for it" because that seems to mean that if the WMI would stop flowing for some reason the car would run lean and bad things would happen. That is very hard to do with modern direct injected cars because they have wide band 02 sensors.

The JB4 for one thing will shut off if the WMI stops flowing and boost will drop back to stock levels almost instantaneously.

So I am tuned for water methanol, I can get more out of it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I made 227 whp with 91 octane and water methanol injection. Map 2 on the JB4 was 211 whp.

More IAT drop is possible, which I am working on currently so more power can be made with WMI.

Define "tuned for it" because that seems to mean that if the WMI would stop flowing for some reason the car would run lean and bad things would happen. That is very hard to do with modern direct injected cars because they have wide band 02 sensors.

The JB4 for one thing will shut off if the WMI stops flowing and boost will drop back to stock levels almost instantaneously.

So I am tuned for water methanol, I can get more out of it.
Tuned as in youre accounting for meth in the tune. It's not just a matter of being lean, but a matter of having enough knock protection. Like there's a difference between 87 and 93. There's a difference between 93 and methanol. Like my maps for just 93 were 16 degrees of timing or so. Safe knock levels. But my current tune is 20 degrees of timing with meth. If I tried that on just 93 I would see much more knock

You do need to make sure you don't run out of meth in that situation or you're easy on the throttle if you're out.

With the jb4, all your extra power is being made outside of the tune so running out is just means the jb4 "adds less".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tuned as in youre accounting for meth in the tune. It's not just a matter of being lean, but a matter of having enough knock protection. Like there's a difference between 87 and 93. There's a difference between 93 and methanol. Like my maps for just 93 were 16 degrees of timing or so. Safe knock levels. But my current tune is 20 degrees of timing with meth. If I tried that on just 93 I would see much more knock

You do need to make sure you don't run out of meth in that situation or you're easy on the throttle if you're out.

With the jb4, all your extra power is being made outside of the tune so running out is just means the jb4 "adds less".
What exactly do you mean the JB4 runs "outside" the tune? This mistake is often made by people. This

·
Registered
308 Posts
What exactly do you mean the JB4 runs "outside" the tune? This mistake is often made by people. This
As in the JB4 is adjusting what the ECU is seeing. If something goes wrong or you simply turn it back to map 0, the ecu is back to doing all of the work. This is what I mean by "outside of the tune". The factory closed loop maps are unchanged. The JB4 is fooling the sensors into reading something else in order to find optimizations in performance.

On the topic of wmi. I'm not referring to the car being lean. The car could have plenty of fuel and correct AFR, but not enough knock protection (ie. octane, or more specifically AKI) for a given timing or boost increase. Which your wideband isn't going to tell you.

So meth outside the tune = so long as you're running the correct gas you're supposed to be running, you're fine.
meth in the tune = you need to be running meth to avoid knock with the demands of the tune.

the difference between ecu vs piggyback is that, if your jb4 is handling everything, if you run out of meth, the jb4 will just dial it back. Whereas best case scenario, the ECU will see knock and pull timing. worst case scenario, boom.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As in the JB4 is adjusting what the ECU is seeing. If something goes wrong or you simply turn it back to map 0, the ecu is back to doing all of the work. This is what I mean by "outside of the tune". The factory closed loop maps are unchanged. The JB4 is fooling the sensors into reading something else in order to find optimizations in performance.

On the topic of wmi. I'm not referring to the car being lean. The car could have plenty of fuel and correct AFR, but not enough knock protection (ie. octane, or more specifically AKI) for a given timing or boost increase. Which your wideband isn't going to tell you.

So meth outside the tune = so long as you're running the correct gas you're supposed to be running, you're fine.
meth in the tune = you need to be running meth to avoid knock with the demands of the tune.

the difference between ecu vs piggyback is that, if your jb4 is handling everything, if you run out of meth, the jb4 will just dial it back. Whereas best case scenario, the ECU will see knock and pull timing. worst case scenario, boom.
Gotcha.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts