Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weighed 2020 18x7.5 stock rims and tires on digital scale, 47 lbs. 18x8 Track Lite with 225/40 A052, 42 lbs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can find rim's that weight about 15lb and up, plus remember any other car companies use the same bolt pattern. The Ford Mustang, EVO, and some others too, so look around.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Dang, my 17 x 8 with 255/45R17 setup on the 15 auto right now is lighter than that. Still better than OEM for sure though. Any little bit helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to see if Porterfield or Wilwood can set me up with aluminum hat rotors and alloy calipers. No, I do not want a big brake kit.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Talk to pierce motorsports and KDM tuners to see if they can assist in braking needs in any way. They have a lot of experience in running these cars on road courses and landing on the podium.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will keep them in mind but I will probably go to Porterfield first. My first track car had almost no aftermarket support, I was burning up brakes and could not find any off the shelf track pads. Porterfield was extremely helpful, made me custom pads at a very reasonable price. I always try to support those that have treated me well and helped me in the past.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Good deal. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
EBC makes rotors and pads for our car now. I recently put new EBC slotted rotors and yellowstuff pads on the front of my R-spec and they worked wonders on the race track.

FWIW, My Enkei RPF1's are 18lbs each.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks but I am looking for lighter weight. Aluminum hats in stock size, which will probably be a custom item.I have had very good results with Hawk HP Plus. My Track Lites are also 18 lbs in 18x8.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
My 17 x 8 are 15 lbs.....

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
I am putting ebc reds on the car this week. Along with new everything else.

I picked up enkei m52 in 17x7.5 to retain specs in stock AX class... they are 22lbs, 5 lbs lighter each wheel than the stock 17x7 NAV wheels. I’ll be running the hoosierstones on them in 235/45 next season. I’ll try to get loaded weights next time I remove the wheels from the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
So 3 ish now and 4 or 5 lbs heavier overall estimated with the new bridge stones next year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, there are several ways to look at this. Are you looking for appearance alone? Are you a drag/street racer? Are you an auto crosser/road racer?" If you are an auto crosser/road racer pinching your tires on 7.5 inch rimes is not the way to go. If you are in this for looks alone. well then do what ever floats your boat.

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
AX / road racer. For over a decade. I’ve run all sorts of different setups on cars from Hoosiers to firehawks. This particular car was very fast dsp car in New England region during its infancy.

would you recommend 235/40 instead? That leaves the Bridgestones out and puts me on z3 which are not impressive and azenis rt660 which are so far unproven.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are some on line articles that give theory and advice. A 235 on a 7.5 would be far from ideal. I have 215 40 on 17x8 rims on my Mazda 3 which is close to ideal. Could probably have gone another half inch wider with the rim. Steering response is amazing when the tire is not rolled outside rim width. I also have a Miata performance book which gives theory and examples of successful track rim and tire combinations. If I can find the book I will provide title and author.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There are some on line articles that give theory and advice. A 235 on a 7.5 would be far from ideal. I have 215 40 on 17x8 rims on my Mazda 3 which is close to ideal. Could probably have gone another half inch wider with the rim. Steering response is amazing when the tire is not rolled outside rim width. I also have a Miata performance book which gives theory and examples of successful track rim and tire combinations. If I can find the book I will provide title and author.
I just read an article on this a few weeks ago. I can't seem to find it now though unfortunately. It very much went against the "wider is always better" line of thinking that I had always assumed. I'll keep digging because it really went into a lot of detail. If I recall correctly, with a narrower tire you don't lose that much contact patch but instead it elongates rather than widening (assuming the same psi). So then, at the same psi, the narrower tire on the same wheel will have tighter sidewalls and be more responsive.
This is my translation based on my memory and interpreted through a brain that has only drag raced or driven on an auto-x course in someone else's car. So, complete regurgitation and no real world knowledge.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
357 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah when I found MotoIQ I spent about 2 weeks reading through all of their articles. Many are pretty good (and over my head lol).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts