Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am in the market for a car and I really want to get a Veloster Turbo. I test drove the 2017 value edition (non) turbo and felt that the transmission was slow off the line and not very peppy. I want to get a pre-owned turbo. I originally wanted a 2016 (nicer rims in my opinion) but I read that the DCT is garbage. What year should I be looking for? 2015? I really want an automatic.

Thanks for the help and I can't wait to join the club!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
So to confirm, you do not want a manual transmission as you have/are looking at automatics/DCT's?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
between 15 and 18k. Got 4K on a trade in and a few thousand down. Good credit. Everyone is saying the 2016 DCT lags when you go off from a dead stop. Saw tork is tuning the DCTs now but who knows when he comes to south Florida. I test drive a 2017 non turbo with the same dct and when I punched it there was like a 1s delay before the car even moved. Is the 15 different than the 16?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sounds like you'd be happy with the earlier autos. Find a 2014 or 2015 and take a test drive. The 2013s are an option and can often be found cheap, but have some extra maintenance considerations. (The engine tune and some internals were extra-susceptible to damaging pre-ignition. This can be mostly resolved with proper care and a good tune, but may be worth avoiding.)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i experience no lag from the start on my dct, i saw this video the other day as well, a VT auto, vs VT manual
auto won!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So 2015 then? Can someone explain what he difference between the 15 and 16 is? Is it just the transmission? It will save me some money to go 2015 which I can use to swap those horrendous rims for something more stylish lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yeah I sadly had no idea the 13s had issues till I already owned it. Oh well. At least i got the regular 6 speed auto which I love.

Speaking of... anyone had the dealer do the flash? I'm looking into it.
Sorry for the minor hijack. But i love the transmission. Sport mode is nice. At WOT it goes all the way to the indicated redline. Paddles are fun to play with. In regular mode with eco on and part throttle it changes gears a lot and keeps the car close to 2k Rpm. I've seen 40 mph average on longer trips using eco and keeping it at 65-70

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I promise, the guy with the manual had more fun.
I don't know about that. An auto driver could use their other hand to read a really exciting book.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
between 15 and 18k. Got 4K on a trade in and a few thousand down. Good credit. Everyone is saying the 2016 DCT lags when you go off from a dead stop. Saw tork is tuning the DCTs now but who knows when he comes to south Florida. I test drive a 2017 non turbo with the same dct and when I punched it there was like a 1s delay before the car even moved. Is the 15 different than the 16?
To be honest, I wouldn't get the VT if I did it again. Maybe a GTI or WRX or better yet a 2012-2013 135i.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Damn. I need to start a new site for people who actually like Velosters. It'd be a small group i think.

I may be in y'alls same position later since I've only had it about 2 months.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 16 VT DCT that has all the bolt ons and a dyno tune and has 270 torque and 250 HP. I now have 111,000 miles on the car and the DCT is holding up so far. Sure there are a lot of weird shifting problems but when floored from a dead stop it just jumps off the line and shifts perfectly on WOT. It's just in normal driving that it does do some strange things but that's in the programming and Hyundai can't get it right. There was one software update for it that helped some but it needs more tuning.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts