Veloster Turbo Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
170 Posts
Look into what the problem is before jumping to conclusions with your wallet in hand. I really don't know what would cause an engine to need a new shortblock without knocking. Only thing I can think of is that you've put a hole through the cylinder wall into a cooling passage with a particularly bad pre detonation. maybe insufficient piston lube which wrecked the cylinder wall, but even that could be fixed with a hone and re-sleeve.

Personally, I'd ask for pictures of the damage as well. Getting an engine upgrade from KDM or Tork is also going to require the engine to be built, and that's a good 6-7k on it's own for the level of parts that go into it. Unless there's a brand new inspection port in the shortblock, the damage is usually repairable

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,158 Posts
Be a good time to upgrade the engine if looking for more power and/or reliability. Good time for clutch upgrade as well while it is apart.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I told him that I want pics of the progress. I will see if he can send them tomorrow. I might even go there. I will get more in depth with the details tomorrow. I was at work when he called me. He did mention the cylinder walls were scorned.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well so far they found leaking valve guides on cylinder 1 and 3. They will let me know more once they remove the head. That’s getting sent out to be machined.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds much better than an entire shortblock

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,158 Posts
This can mean other major issues so before settling with just fixing minimal things look at the other components of the engine. In other words it needs to be torn apart most likely as your best bet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes. This was discussed. I’m also going to need new pistons. So I decided to get a new short block from Hyundai. So basically I will have a brand new engine. I just got a 3 layer head gasket from Tork. Waiting on ARP head studs from KDM. Trying to decide whether or not to put in Supertech valve springs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If the head's already getting rebuilt, why not?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes. It’s a little peace of mind. Might be less in labor cost to if the block comes preassembled. I’m just kinda mad that the valve guides wore out at 80k miles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes. It’s a little peace of mind. Might be less in labor cost to if the block comes preassembled. I’m just kinda mad that the valve guides wore out at 80k miles.
Wait a sec, shouldn't the engine still have a warranty at 80k? Could have sworn it had a 100k/10 year warranty on the powertrain

It's worth a shot to see, just take off your bolt-ons and de-tune it so hyundai thinks it's stock

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Stopped by the shop today and snapped a few pics. See the nice chunk out of the piston? I don’t think you’re supposed to see the ring from this view. 🙁
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Engineering Gas

Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens Camera

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I know exactly when it happened to. I was leaving the gas station turning on a side street and I floored it in 1st going up to 5k rpm and letting off the gas never shifting up. It was the loudest backfire I ever heard from this car. That’s when the smoke screen started. Still don’t know what caused it though. Other than the #1 cylinder everything looked good as far as the valves and the other 3 cylinders. Actually the valves looked pretty clean with minimal carbon buildup.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,032 Posts
whoops!!

Reactions: 16VT

·
Registered
170 Posts
Time to chuck in some forged pistons, it sounds like!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts