Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have recently purchased new wheels for my 2016 Veloster turbo. They are an 18x8.5+35 so I need tires. I am wondering how wide we can go I would prefer not to stretch tires and I do like a meaty look. I plan to go on coil-overs and lower to about where eibach lowering springs are maybe a tad higher enough to have it low but also avoid excessive camber.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,428 Posts
On those wheel specs with a 225 width tire you can go 2-2.5" lower before the tire sidewall will hit the fender well arches. This is how low with the suspension under load it will hit and not just the static height. The static height can be a little lower on coilovers than springs and be safe due to the different spring rates.

Now if you like meaty and not stretch then you can get different wheel specs and run a 255 width tire and still lower the car and look good and clear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On those wheel specs with a 225 width tire you can go 2-2.5" lower before the tire sidewall will hit the fender well arches. This is how low with the suspension under load it will hit and not just the static height. The static height can be a little lower on coilovers than springs and be safe due to the different spring rates.

Now if you like meaty and not stretch then you can get different wheel specs and run a 255 width tire and still lower the car and look good and clear.
Yeah, I mean I'm kind of set with these wheels specs. How low is 2-2.5 though I really don't know much about how much these cars lowered what you can and can't do.

·
Administrator
5,428 Posts
Look at pics of lowered cars on here and in FB groups with different tire/wheel setups.

On say eibach springs you can run the 225 tire and be ok unless you have a lot of weight in the car or hit a bump hard. On coilovers you'll be fine with the same tire but can probably take it around .5" more drop max than the eibach springs without much issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at pics of lowered cars on here and in FB groups with different tire/wheel setups.

On say eibach springs you can run the 225 tire and be ok unless you have a lot of weight in the car or hit a bump hard. On coilovers you'll be fine with the same tire but can probably take it around .5" more drop max than the eibach springs without much issues.
Definitely have been, I plan coils I just said eibach as that's just a good let off point. Looking around it looks like for what I want a 235/40/18 will be fine but I also want to temo it with a 245/35/18 lol. Because the 245 will be same diameter just wider.

·
Administrator
5,428 Posts
The other difference will be that the 235+ width tires on those wheel specs you will not be able to go as low be it static or dynamically before they will contact the fenders as the tread will contact instead of the sidewall of the tire even if the same tire diameter is used. The other issue with wider on that wheel spec is you may not clear things as easy when turning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other difference will be that the 235+ width tires on those wheel specs you will not be able to go as low be it static or dynamically before they will contact the fenders as the tread will contact instead of the sidewall of the tire even if the same tire diameter is used. The other issue with wider on that wheel spec is you may not clear things as easy when turning.
Yeah, I definitely think after doing so much research today and yesterday I'm going with a 235 for where I want it. I'm ok sacrificing a little bit of low for looks of some wider tires. I've found a few people with the set up/look I'm wanting to go with with similar offset or even lower(+33 instead of +35). A factor I'll have to consider though obviously is how true the manufacturer is. I'm currently between firehawk AS and DSW06 as both in where I'm wanting to spend.

·
Administrator
5,428 Posts
DWS06 hands down. Just be 100% on the size based on what I told you because the tighter fitment it seems you're going for here has less room for suspension movement before you'll get tire or fender damage just FYI. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DWS06 hands down. Just be 100% on the size based on what I told you because the tighter fitment it seems you're going for here has less room for suspension movement before you'll get tire or fender damage just FYI. :)
Thank you, yeah I think I'll have some room was talking to others with 235. I just called to a few shops about purchasing tires needless to say I'm buying online. Also what do you like about the DWS06?

·
Administrator
5,428 Posts
Yes online may get the best price due to some recent changes in the tire industry re distributors and costs. I know this because we just had to sell a tire business due to these changes.

The DWS06 has very good construction so handle well and have good traction in all conditions. Even in the summer a true summer only tire is not that much better. They also have great tire life and are very quiet and comfortable ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes online may get the best price due to some recent changes in the tire industry re distributors and costs. I know this because we just had to sell a tire business due to these changes.

The DWS06 has very good construction so handle well and have good traction in all conditions. Even in the summer a true summer only tire is not that much better. They also have great tire life and are very quiet and comfortable ride.
Ok cool, yeah I've looked at those only issue is getting them in looks like I may be waiting a few weeks or more. I'll double check if not I think I'll probably just go with firehawk AS around same price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts