Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the snow belt of Ohio. Was wondering if anyone has insight on how the Veloster performs on snowy road conditions? Stock tires I am sure are less then desirable, but thought I would reach out to the community and get some feedback.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drewfusss maybe we will cross paths on 77 or Route 8 one day. Driving the turbo in the winter could make things a bit more interesting this winter. Lets hope for a light winter like last year. The year before you needed a plow on the front of your vehicle.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sweet, I didn't think there were so many owners in Ohio! Im the first one to get one over here in Cleveland! It feels nice to have people turn heads out of their cars...it feels like 25% of population here drives either a Neon or a Cavalier lol..

·
Registered
407 Posts
Snowing here today but melting on the ground. Just ordered some winter tires and new rims this morning.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Drewfusss maybe we will cross paths on 77 or Route 8 one day. Driving the turbo in the winter could make things a bit more interesting this winter. Lets hope for a light winter like last year. The year before you needed a plow on the front of your vehicle.
Possibly, most likely you'll see my wife driving though, its gonna be her car. I'll be driving my old xterra in which case their is no such thing as too much snow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going from a fully loaded 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, I can understand the more snow the better mentality. If the xterra passes by a black veloster stuck in the snow, it's me..Pull over and pull me out..haha!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My experience with small FWD cars in the snow has always been very positive. Of course, you can't go bounding through deep unplowed snow like a SUV. But if you exercise some caution and common sense small FWD cars rarely get stuck like RWD cars.

The VT is likely to have a few snow issues though. Skinny tires work better than wide tires and there is no getting around ground clearance when the snow gets deep.

Have you found the tow hook under the rear passenger side bumper yet?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I had an '11 Elantra which is the same basic weight and size of the VT, same winter wheel/tire size, smae basic suspension and ABS/TC. It had much less power then the VT and it was an auto, but it was a great car in the winter minths. I suspect that my VT will perform exactly the same and possibly better because its a manual.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The only other concern I have with the VT for winter driving is the friendly neighbors pushing you out when you get stuck. 9 times out of 10 I can rock myself out of being stuck - especially with a M/T.

But the nose seems especially flimsy and make sure that friendly neighbors don't smash it in while pushing you out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts