Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I’m a mom who’s looking into winter tires and rims for my sons 2013 VT. The tires on now are 215/40R18. Which are incredibly expensive to get in a winter tire. Can I go down to a 17? It’s his first time driving in winter and we are in the snow belt here so he needs decent winter tires ASAP

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi there. I’m a mom who’s looking into winter tires and rims for my sons 2013 VT. The tires on now are 215/40R18. Which are incredibly expensive to get in a winter tire. Can I go down to a 17? It’s his first time driving in winter and we are in the snow belt here so he needs decent winter tires ASAP
I would actually suggest going to 16's for winter tires.
16x7 wheels + 205/55/R16 were only about $800 for everything.

16x7s are very common. Keep in mind you can't go smaller than 16's though.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I'd go 16" cheap steel wheels that fit and a good snow tire.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yup, 16 inch steelies.... i don't know my tire size off hand but can check later today.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd go 16" cheap steel wheels that fit and a good snow tire.
So this is exactly what I wanted. After screwing around with people on craigslist, and not being able to get a straight answer out of any junkyards, I just went to the tire shop and asked about the steelie-dans. It turned out that alloy wheels were an extra $8/wheel. They were no-name, but whatever. At least I don't have to worry about bending the wheel on the first chuck-hole I hit.

PS - Pick a part's website is worthless for wheels. They only tell you what wheel is on a specific make / model that they have on the lot. It doesn't matter that a thousand other cars (on their lot) share the same size and bolt pattern. No matter what you have to search each one of these 1000 other cars instead of searching for a 114.3 x 5 pattern and 16x7 wheel. [/rant]

·
Registered
13 Posts
My '19 R-Spec came with 225/40-18 summer tires.
I had alum 16" wheels with 195/55-16 Dunlop Sport Snow tires that I've used for years on my '07 Miata that now fit nicely on the Veloster.
A bit of wheel gap but will tolerate the winter pot holes well and get me through the winter. I picked them up from Tire Rack as a wheel / tire package.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts