Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 WRX sedan and I love almost everything about the car. The handling is awesome and the power is great but I think I want something different. Being an "old school" AWD turbo 4 banger my mpgs are pretty low averaging 21 combined so the VT appeals to me there as does the styling. With that said I've driven an AWD car (yes all Subies) for the last 20 years so I've grown accustomed to the handling and know what I can and can't do. I know technology has improved the overall handling of FWD cars but am I going to hate it in the long term? With my WRX I can maintain the same speed around a corner if not increase it due to the AWD and decent tires. I'm not expecting the VT to match my WRX in performance in anyway I just want to know where it's short commings are and where I maybe impressed. Also I live in CT and our winters could be tame or a snowy disaster, is the VT decent in a couple of inches of snow or slush?

I test drove a Auto VT a few weeks ago and liked it but thought that I'd probably like the MT more. Do any of you regret your tranny choice and if so why?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
54 Posts
If your willing so sacrifice hp and awd performance for better fuel economy and styling the vt is a great choice its pretty peppy for a 1.6L I was obligated to get the m/t after the break in period sports mode and paddle shifters is pretty fun. if they would have had a m/t when I had to get the car I would have gotten it but have no regrets with the m/t. the few mods i have done have been inexpensive and easy. it's been a all around fun car to drive, show off, and mod.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Two totally different cars... no way to fairly compare them.

I bought a 6MT cuz my wife and I love MT. But to each their own. The auto loses a little in performance for sure. Drove them both so I know the difference from personal experience. Snow driving will be all right for a FWD car but do not expect anything like a subie in that department. However, you will notice more dough in your wallet at the gas pumps... the subie is a pig on gas...
In the end it is a choice based on needs and wants. I have an AWD Lincoln MKX, a Nissan 370Z and now Hyundai Veloster Turbo... cars for all my needs!

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Two totally different cars... no way to fairly compare them.

I bought a 6MT cuz my wife and I love MT. But to each their own. The auto loses a little in performance for sure. Drove them both so I know the difference from personal experience. Snow driving will be all right for a FWD car but do not expect anything like a subie in that department. However, you will notice more dough in your wallet at the gas pumps... the subie is a pig on gas...
In the end it is a choice based on needs and wants. I have an AWD Lincoln MKX, a Nissan 370Z and now Hyundai Veloster Turbo... cars for all my needs!
Your one lucky woman, I'm very glad your career brought you great success. This will eventually be my DD and I'll be getting the Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 Supercharger either in 2014 or 2016 which will be my weekend warrior. Of course that's another thread discussion :)

·
2,385 Posts
Gumby, I feel ya'. I came from a 2009 WRX sedan, m/t in silver and got myself into this here m/t VT. No regrets. Steering feels nice and stiff, I lowered it a bit and it corners like a champ. MPG's are better than with the subie plus I pump regular vs premium now. AWD is super nice, especially here in MI, so I'm hoping not to miss it too much. As for the power, the wrx screamed, the VT is decent compared to it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your one lucky woman, I'm very glad your career brought you great success. This will eventually be my DD and I'll be getting the Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 Supercharger either in 2014 or 2016 which will be my weekend warrior. Of course that's another thread discussion :)
ummm.... that's my wife in the photos.... her car! lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
i had an 2006 stage 2 legacy with bilstein struts, swift springs, whiteline RSB, the works. do i love my matte grey VT 6MT? yes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
jxjjang, have you driven your VT in snow at all?
No one has yet, as the VT has not existed over a winter yet. But NAV owners say it drives the same as any FF car, so I imagine the VT is the same.

I got the MT. Test drove both, and the AT just didn't have the same spirit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm curious how the turbo will effect winter driving. I actually hate the turbo in my WRX while driving in snow, it makes trudging through snow and slush a real PitA.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As long as you're easy and consistent on the throttle, you shouldn't be going into boost at all. If you're driving in the snow, turbo or NA, you shouldn't be making any sudden braking or accelerating movements.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm curious how the turbo will effect winter driving. I actually hate the turbo in my WRX while driving in snow, it makes trudging through snow and slush a real PitA.
my brother had a wrx sti.. yes, had, he thought he could drive it like a cobb rally car straight off the lot... but anyway, when i drove it i dont remember the throttle being quite so forgiving, but at the same time the subi has awd.

also just to comment on the thread in general, i think you are all incorrect, i think the vt will very soon be in the same class as the wrx, lets face it, its the first wave and even the n/a v is brand new, nobody has really made a run at mods for it, i think once there is more than a handful in the states, especially with all the rubbernecking i already get, the developers will start pumping some roids into this little guy and it will be very competitive with the wrx, and the lancer (do they even make them anymore :question: ) plus the curb weight is like 2800 or 2900 something like that so bhp/ton is pretty good considering the 93 pgt (which competed with the stang) weighs a grand more than that and only after mods has over 200 hp on the ground. so even though were only barely above 200 now doesn't mean that we will be there for long, im betting there will be 260 - 280 that we will be able to get out of it soon with the right R&D for intakes, exhaust, maybe a beefy cam, or some little fine tuning.

we shall soon see though

stay tuned ladies and gentlemen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts