Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A buddy of mine recommended zMAX Engine Lubricant to be added the engine oil whenever the oil is changed. They also offer additives for the transmission, and fuel injectors too. I haven't used them before, but it sounds interesting to me. Anyone have any experience with their products? Can you recommend me an alternative?

The only additive I've ever used on my VT is a bottle of techron in the fuel every 5-7 tank-fills. Dunno if it helps or not, but it's cheap enough that I don't mind doing it.

EDIT: Did some research. It seems that oils have all the additives they need already in them, which may be zero additives in many cases. Oils are formulated to OEM specifications, and OEMs intend to protect their engineering. These products are almost universally "snakeoil" and should be avoided.

Most oil additives are predominantly ZDDP which should already be present within any good oil in a sufficient amount. Oils used to contain more, but it can cause premature catalytic converter failure, so ZDDP levels have been almost categorically reduced across the industry. Race-grade oils sometimes have very high ZDDP levels, but catalytic converters are not generally used in those vehicles so it is a non-issue.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Google it. Its garbage.
That right there is why I asked the forums. :D I'll look into it and update my OP with any confirmed info.

Okay so in 2001, the FTC sued them and won. However, they're still in business. That means either they changed their products, or changed their marketing to avoid telling half-truths. I really know nothing about them, just asked because of a recommendation. I'll keep reading.

·
Registered
980 Posts
That right there is why I asked the forums. :D I'll look into it and update my OP with any confirmed info.

Okay so in 2001, the FTC sued them and won. However, they're still in business. That means either they changed their products, or changed their marketing to avoid telling half-truths. I really know nothing about them, just asked because of a recommendation. I'll keep reading.
They had a second wind because they somehow managed to get Carrol Shelby to stand behind their product before he died.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My experience over 30 years is that there is no magic oil or additive.

What matters is the oil ratings on the side of the oil jugs.

For older cars the oil ratings are way beyond the original specifications and you can use even the cheapest oils and be fine.

For newer cars you have to pay close attention to those ratings and follow them.

The oil ratings can be hard to figure out and understand because they are developed cooperatively by the motor and petroleum engineers. It's not just about weight anymore. It is about minimum gaps, sheer forces and seal materials.

I've long given up on trying to outsmart the engineers.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Can anyone reply to the techron product he's adding.. Are products like that beneficial since gas varies from place to place? Thanks

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
I read a review some time back about fuel additives. I think that the end result was that...
A) The little bottles don't hold enough to really do anything
B) Unless you use third-world-generic gas there is plenty of additives in the existing pump gas.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Techron has merit, but it is already present in sufficient quantities if you use Top Tier gasoline, especially ethanol free Top Tier. Unfortunately, there are no Top Tier stations near me, and virtually all stations in MD and DC are 10% ethanol, so I use a Techron additive at the recommendation of the dealership, for the reasons I just provided. Many of you would not benefit from adding Techron yourselves.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Only two additives i'd ever recommend are; BG 44k (fuel system cleaner) and Seafoam, and i wouldn't recommend either until your car hits 50-60k miles (and even then i'd be hesitant unless you've been running 7-11 gas or something)

Stick with top tier fuels, add 44k maybe 2-3 times a year and seafoam maybe ONCE every 70-80k miles. obviously these are dependent on the quality of fuels and oils used throughout the life of a car.

a car with dollar store engine oil change every 8k miles and some backwoods gas station gas might have more wear and buildup than one that's been properly maintained and looked after.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts