Veloster Turbo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Smart key functions would lie in The body control module? Maybe...

Turbo Got Dam it
13 Veloster Turbo Base AT
1/2 Gut
Modded airbox
BPV to BOV
More to come.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quick update of progress and discoveries:

- The two ECU part numbers I have are interchangeable. (39131-2BFK0 - my stock, 39131-2BFK5 - my spare)

- The OBD2 flashing solution in its current "vanilla package" state (Tactrix Openport 2.0, PCMFlash w/ USB security dongle module 19) was able to clone my ECU to a the spare without issue or rejection. I had concerns that the "EEPROM" code that relates to security and VIN matching would not match and cause problems. Still unclear whether PCMFlash is catching and copying this part, or it somehow doesn't matter.

- SXTH's tune is pretty damn awesome. I'll save a full review for later, but the fixed low end throttle engagement is still my favorite perk. It feels like it should have all along. Top end is also very sweet, and we're discussing a revision to dial it in further.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,233 Posts
So, what tune did you flash into it this first go round? How much boost, afr, timing, and dyno numbers at full tilt yo? Come on........ :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
So, what tune did you flash into it this first go round? How much boost, afr, timing, and dyno numbers at full tilt yo? Come on........ :)
No dyno, remote logging only. We got started before their new tune/price structure came around, but it's probably considered part of the the "Bolt On+" spectrum.

Mark was super patient with me after a slipped clamp on my cold pipe, quickly discovered and fixed, somehow still led to two full days of lingering bizarre behavior and troubleshooting. Despite a full reset and scouring for additional mechanical issues, I was left mostly confused when the car seemed to suddenly smarten up on its own terms. Hoping that fiasco is behind us. I've been leaving the pesky behind-the-scenes numbers in his court, preferring to stick to the hardware poking, practical feedback, and log captures. The things I can't help but notice (number-wise) are a 7k rev limit, and boost peaks that seem to hang around 22-23 psi.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,233 Posts
Hey, it's all better than stock regardless!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sort of a belated update with a follow up on my recent install of a Tork boost (wastegate) solenoid, and the Turbosmart Kompact BOV.

I mentioned previously that the BOV activation was much too fluttery across the range. Softest adjustment made no difference. Firmer adjustment quickly set a trouble code. I wasn't too surprised, since others have mentioned getting the softer "blue" spring to resolve this. I e-mailed Turbosmart support, and was offered a replacement spring under warranty. It arrived in Canada about 10 days later. I found the overpackaging rather amusing.

IMG_20171129_172358.jpg

Old spring was pink, new spring has a hint of green paint and was somewhat shorter. The stiffness wasn't obviously different when squeezed. Wasn't sure what to expect, since this wasn't the model-specific "blue" part I was expecting. Tried it out anyways. Took a bit of trial-and-error, but I found it's reasonably consistent one turn off of the firmest setting. Still getting a little flutter when lifting on full boost > 20lbs, but otherwise a huge improvement. Not sure if I'll complain any further, or exactly what spring they sent me.

IMG_20171129_181224.jpg

Reactions: Incognito

·
Registered
309 Posts
The green spring is the standard spring in their Plumb Back model and is the "medium" spring. I was getting the P2261 code with it and switched to their "soft" blue spring. Being as your valve is adjustable you should be good now.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
The green spring is the standard spring in their Plumb Back model and is the "medium" spring. I was getting the P2261 code with it and switched to their "soft" blue spring. Being as your valve is adjustable you should be good now.
Interesting. I hadn't realized the plumb back model wasn't adjustable.

I see now where their list of spares shows the pink, green, and blue springs as spares for both 'Kompact' series. I'm still a little surprised at where the adjustment ended up with the 'new' spring. The valve was sticking open at idle until I got near the firmest adjustment, suggesting it was nearly too soft. Makes me suspect I ended up with someone's saggy worn-out returned part.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Interesting. I hadn't realized the plumb back model wasn't adjustable.

I see now where their list of spares shows the pink, green, and blue springs as spares for both 'Kompact' series. I'm still a little surprised at where the adjustment ended up with the 'new' spring. The valve was sticking open at idle until I got near the firmest adjustment, suggesting it was nearly too soft. Makes me suspect I ended up with someone's saggy worn-out returned part.
Damn us and our similar builds... I too have the adjustable from Turbo Smart, and checked mine... it is the red spring. Tempted to email TurboSmart before I install mine to see about the other spring they sent you, or grabbing the blue spring locally (Summit Racing, FTW) before I install mine.

Reactions: geekdragon

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Tempted to email TurboSmart before I install mine to see about the other spring they sent you, or grabbing the blue spring locally (Summit Racing, FTW) before I install mine.
I nearly ordered the blue spring before going through support, but got hung up on delivery costs in Canada. They asked for some general troubleshooting follow-up before agreeing to send the spring, so you may need to have it installed first anyway.

Not sure if there's any chance the blue spring would be too soft. As I said, the green one I got (possibly used) seems borderline. I'm not sure if the dual-port has different tolerances than the plumb-back.

On the upside, I discovered I could access the BOV well enough by unclipping the bumper from the driver's side fender (one screw), and the four upper bolts and clips above the radiator. Leaving the lower clips/screws in place let me tip the bumper ahead without completely removing it. Handy for dialing in the BOV without a full removal, or cutting a hole.

Reactions: E9C900A

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Still wasn't entirely satisfied with the performance of the Turbosmart BOV. The green spring their support dept. sent me did represent an improvement, but I was getting noticeable flutter at low rpms, and a bit of a bouncing chop at full throttle lift-off as well. I got tired of waiting for further support, and just ordered the softest blue spring on my own. (TS-0203-3001)

Problem solved. No flutter at either extreme. Crisp and clean sound. Finally perfect response.

The Veloster-specific kit had no business coming with their strongest available spring, which is frankly unusable. The medium spring was barely appropriate, and still set a trouble code a couple of times during the month I used it. Not sure why TurboSmart continues to severely misjudge this, since they must surely be getting feedback. (They certainly did from me.)

In other news, if anybody needs a pink (firm) or green (medium) spring for their TS Kompact, I have a couple taking up space in my tool box. Maybe you can use them on a different car, or make a pogo stick for your gerbil.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
A little side note for interest's sake. It has recently come to my attention that not all Rally Editions were equipped identically. I took for granted my heated steering wheel and front seats were standard on the supposed 1200 Rallys, but may in fact be an (at least) Canadian market exclusive. It's not so much a surprise to be that they would do this for the Canadian climate, but that they would mess around customizing a low-production model to make it happen.

I went back to confirm, they mentioned these features as standard equipment on my window sheet. Granted, they also mention "e-limited slip differential", so grain of salt I guess.

Snapped some pictures. Forgive the wintery mess.

IMG_20180117_075629.jpg
IMG_20180117_075640.jpg
P1050431.JPG

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's very interesting as I have NONE of those switches. In fact my traction control is a solid button where your right seat warmer button is. And only place holder buttons near the light bright/dim switch on the left. Ill try to grab a couple pics today. Granted I am in SoCal so the amount of times ive thought"damn I wish my steering wheel heated up" is like maybe once? haha.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Swiped a couple images from google. This is what mine is like.
Thanks. That left-side accessory block looks barren. ;) I did some searching and saw a couple of reviewers had my style as well.

One thing I wish we both had is the newer style stereo head unit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's very interesting as I have NONE of those switches. In fact my traction control is a solid button where your right seat warmer button is. And only place holder buttons near the light bright/dim switch on the left. Ill try to grab a couple pics today. Granted I am in SoCal so the amount of times ive thought"damn I wish my steering wheel heated up" is like maybe once? haha.
My traction control is right above my passenger side seat heat control

·
Registered
170 Posts
Even though not having heated seats/steering wheel isn't a deal breaker for, it would have been nice to have. Especially since it clearly wasn't such an issue to put it in the car at the factory. Manufacturers are so weird sometimes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Can confirm, my US spec Rally Edition has no heated seat/wheel... I wish I'd gotten that and the Australian vented seats.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Finally satisfied the Turbosmart BOV is behaving. It's been tough to get enough traction to really put the car through its paces.

I wasn't expecting to see more consistent peak boost numbers out of the bargain, but the BOV seems to have managed that too. I was only rarely hitting 22-23 psi before, but now I can stab the throttle and almost count on it. My working theory was that the stronger spring was making it difficult to modulate the bypass overpressure, and the ECU adapted to keep things on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
A little more mundane update:

I decided to take the path less traveled with regards to a horn upgrade. I've seen and heard the Hellatones everywhere, but didn't care to have a couple of bright-colored noise makers showing through the grill. I rather liked what I heard in a youtube video demonstrating a few tones of PIAA horns.

I decided to go with the 330 and 400hz horns (sold together as their "Superior Bass" kit), plus a 500hz horn for some extra sharpness and harmony. Here's everything gathered together:
IMG_20180413_191710.jpg

On a side note, how the hell does a regular air mail package get from Japan to Canada in 5 days? I'm not complaining. Pretty stamps.
IMG_20180413_183646.jpg

Dammit. I always miss a couple of fasteners on the bottom.
IMG_20180413_193304.jpg

Speaking of, I found some screw-in type replacements for the plastic bumper/fascia push-clips I'd been mangling. They seem to work pretty slick.
IMG_20180413_193923.jpg

Behold the sad stock horn.
IMG_20180413_194345.jpg

I don't recall anyone mentioning this before, but the stock mount was actually three separate pieces sandwiched together. Convenient.
IMG_20180413_194801.jpg

I was on the fence about whether I could get away with three of these horns on the stock circuit. I decided to power the new relay via an inline fuse piggy-backing the alternator header from my XWEK (rather than an uneccessary run all the way to the battery). I also decided to do something a bit janky by e-taping a couple of leads into the stock horn connector to trigger the relay. I did this to keep the connector intact, and make replacing the OEM horn (for trade/resale) easier. The nearby harness wires were a bit short to make me comfortable with trying to cut and resolder later.
IMG_20180413_215129.jpg

After a bit of screwing around with position and wiring: This one won't win any beauty contests, but then that wasn't my goal.
IMG_20180413_213807.jpg
IMG_20180413_213819.jpg

Anyways, everything works, and I think it made a difference.

Reactions: TC4Tay
21 - 40 of 49 Posts